rz bogs at 5500rpm

well my dad bought a rz kenny roberts edition new in 84 and it ran perfent untill maybe 3 years ago. then when you would hit about 5500rpm it would bog out and burble a little bit but if you get in the throttle hard it doesnt do it only when holding the throttle steady. he has had the jetting from way lean to way rich with everything in between..same with air screws, needle's etc...he thought maybe it needed a rebuild so he completly rebuilt it. put new reeds in, new k@n's...he just cant figure it out i was thinking maybe a stator or something not giving enough juice or something hell i dunno. if you have any ideas let me know...thanks

maybe its got something to do with the powervalve system... I have no experience with RZ's but 5500 RPM is probly close to the opening of the powervalves. maybe if they open to quick and early the suddent change in exhaust timing would make it bog at steady throttle but if your giving her it would make that transition easier :shrug:

sounds valid. but id thin that much overtweaking could be a problem. can you get the bike running well at idle after being properly warmed up? check the jetting and do plug chops. it may be a waste of money to cut plugs but thats what has to be done to establish your baseline... once you got the rough idea, buy some jets in your range.a few sizes bigger and a few sizes smaller so you can always change for temperature and stuff.

i dont know a thing about powervalves either but the rz's have complicated wiring for the powervalve system im pretty sure i have read, mabye someone here can advise you on that? once you have a good boo there im sure you will have your problem solved. i mean a really good look (boo)

then go onto your jetting. thats where the real fun is at in owning a smoking motor :cool:

I would also check a few other things. Finsh checking the rest of the ignition system like the coil resistances and the plug wires.

If the RZ powervalve system is like most other 2-strokes, it could be gummed up and not opening and closing properly. I remember cleaning one on a CR250, and it ran night and day different.

Lastly, when he did the rebuild, did he just do a top end? Could there be a crank seal sucking air?

I feel your pain, I hate these kind of problems. Good luck!