should i balance my lockup?

streetshee

hiya,i was bored so thought id weigh my lockup cams and weights to see how different they were.

heres the weights,

1=27.11g

2=27.05g

3=27.03g

4=27.10g

5=27.15g

6=27.21g

there is also a difference in the weights of the retension pins of up to .04,surely this inbalance of weight will cause vibration,bearing in mind that i do lots of prolonged full throttle on the streets,wattaya think?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree to a point, but I bet the out of balance from your crank, sprockets, gears, tires, etc., play a 100% bigger role than a few tenths of a gram on a lockout....now measure the drag co-efficient of the gear oil that each finger on the lockup is slinging, suddenly those little bits of weight really are insignificant....

Unless you can somehow manage how much tranny fluid each individual lockup finger slings....down the the grams you're worried about...

Not trying to sound like a smart ass, rather give you the 10,000 foot view of understanding....

I agree to a point, but I bet the out of balance from your crank, sprockets, gears, tires, etc., play a 100% bigger role than a few tenths of a gram on a lockout....now measure the drag co-efficient of the gear oil that each finger on the lockup is slinging, suddenly those little bits of weight really are insignificant....

Unless you can somehow manage how much tranny fluid each individual lockup finger slings....down the the grams you're worried about...

Not trying to sound like a smart ass, rather give you the 10,000 foot view of understanding....

knock yourself out! balance away.

I always love streetshee's post....

Ask a question then tell everyone they are wrong and do what you want to do anyway. This adds great value to the HQ database.

:wallbash:

if you read my post it says specificly,"i do lots of full throttle" mile after mile on streets ect,so i was wondering if somebody would pipe up and say something like,"yes definatly balance it because you could throw a bearindg or get vibration at high rpm. ok dave.u happy with that?

The only person on here telling you to do it doesn't even own a lockup....

I'm quite sure knowing NYUK's style of humor his post was a joke...

Chill out...if you have that much time on your hands to shave tenths of a gram...go for it.

I'll be over here watching some paint dry...feeling productive myself....

You will never know the difference if you do it or dont. That is such a tiny amount of weight no way in hell you would ever know, its a damn banshee, got more rattles and looser tolerences then that all over.

I'll be over here watching some paint dry...feeling productive myself....

:yelrotflmao: :yelrotflmao:

ok,u say its a tiny amount of weight,lets say that i put them on the lockup at any random place and it turned out that id put all the heavy onext to eachother,ok lets guess that the difference in weight on one half of the clutch is .5g,what happens to weights when spun around in circles? they feel heavyier,i would guess that a clutch basket can generate minimum 5 gravitys,so that .5g weight now becomes 2.5g minimum! do u see my point now?