compicated suspension decisions

04titanse

I am looking to get a decent suspension set up for my 2000 banshee - stock suspension set up. I ride a lot of different types of terrain, everything from wide open fields to woods trails and a bunch of motocross track riding. I cant really build a machine specific to anything because i like to do a little of everything. For the suspension i want to gear more toward a MX set up without making the bike too wide and hard to negotiate in technical trails.

Just to add one more variable. I don't have the money to drop 2-3K into suspension i was looking at somthing like Elka dual rates for like 500-700 or even Works At steeler for like 375 but i really dont know what to do. I have been reading all week in the suspension forum and cant really figure out whats best for my situation.

I hope i didn't give you too much useless info. i am just trying to get some stuff picked out some my shee doesn't punish me so bad on jumps and general bumps and rough stuff.

I ride fast and hard almost all the time but i wont be racing or anything. So i dont need the best of the best but i hate to get cheap shit and 6 months later replace it and waste even more money.

sorry for the long post!! thanks

Edited by 04titanse

I dont think that you will have any regrets, if you go with works or elka compared to stock..

anything, absolutly anything is better than stock..I went with works, Im a weekend warrior, recreational rider and I love the new setup, I had the rear shock rebuilt and everything feels great..

By the way my shee is a 2000 also and I have a titan... Good choices

003_3.jpg

I was hoping someone would tell me to go with works because the price is so reasonable!! Do you run the stock rear shock or do you run the works rear shock? and if you had the stock rear re-worked where did you have it done?

That is a good choice on the 2000 banshee and Titan. I love my truck, but yours is a little cleaner looking than mine! I use mine for work everyday but try and keep her looking as good as i can.

Works are great shocks..Alot of people run them, Am I saying that they are better than elka's, NO, but they are a good shock and you will not be disappointed..I had the rear shock completely rebuild by works, new spring and all... setup for my bike, weight and riding style...I am very very happy with the rear shock....

o0o yea and the titan def gets dirty to...I disconnected the trailer and had alittle fun during lunch...lol

attachment-1.jpg

alright sweet thanks for the input. i am glad to see you give the titan some hell off road! i have taken mine through some pretty tough stuff during hunting season and it really suprised me how well it does.

You will see a nice differnce if you change the shocks and leave the a-arms, but I recommend doing the a-arms as well. My shee suspension was all stock, now I have it all done all the way around and It is night and day....and I bought good stuff not great, and and still very pleased...

good luck and let use kno what you decide on..

if i do a +2 arms and shock set up in the front do i need to do a +2+2 axle in the rear??

not necessarily ... i have my stock rear rims flipped and they line up perfect with the front, end, but if you wana do it "right" then yea you should run the rims on the stock offset and get a wider axle i guess

Oh nice! that sounds better than a $350 axle.. by the way what type of rear shock do you run?

i just went to the garage to look at my suspension width and i noticed that my rear is like 2-3" wider than my front. does that make sense? I am wondering if the rims are not stock offset and thats why the rear is a bunch wider. The front and rear suspension a arm and axle are all stock. what do you guys think?

The main reason I got the Elites is the wide range of adjustability for all of the diffrent terrain I ride on. Having the HI/LO speed compression adjust is almost like having 2 diffrent shock setups. Smooth over the soft stuff and smooth over the rough stuff not to mention the rebound adjustment that will help out alot weather Im jumping/Tricks or doing hard whoops/rutted out sections.

Works are an upgrade from stock but Elkas are an upgrade from Works the same. Ive rode on both on many diffrent quads and diffrent terrain and the Elkas blew Works out of the water. I also saved up its not something I just went out and bought. Just something to think about.

both of those shock set ups are bad ass...dont know what else to tell ya....you can get the basic non adjustable Elkas & the Works steelers with Rezzies for about the same price...Good Chit anyway you cut it.

Flippin the wheels is koo...works great...just fill the orignal hole with jb weld or something and drill for a valve stem on the other side, the stock fronts work good for this.

It just makes looking at your bike so much better with a big front end :biggrin: