Linux anybody?

bk_banshee

So does anyone have any real linux expierence either desktop or server end? My family is going to be putting together a couple of small start ups and I was going to create a linux server to get going with it. Just curious to see if others take advantage of open source.

and before you ask we have all the neccesary equipment and conecctions too. (dual 3.2 Xeon Server and Fios 5mb/5mb)

• 3 weeks later...
So does anyone have any real linux expierence either desktop or server end? My family is going to be putting together a couple of small start ups and I was going to create a linux server to get going with it. Just curious to see if others take advantage of open source.

and before you ask we have all the neccesary equipment and conecctions too. (dual 3.2 Xeon Server and Fios 5mb/5mb)

Go for it :) Linux is nice if it fills your needs.

• 2 months later...

linux is the way to go for a server. if you're planning on running a server for a small business, then redhat RHEL (not so much the free version), about $300 which comes with the support contract so you can update anytime.

a good free alternative for a server is CentOS 5. it's built off from RHEL 5, and it uses yum rather than redhat's updater.

want to know more, feel free. I'm not an expert but I've been building/running linux boxes in production environments for about 8 years now..

• 3 weeks later...
linux is the way to go for a server. if you're planning on running a server for a small business, then redhat RHEL (not so much the free version), about $300 which comes with the support contract so you can update anytime.

a good free alternative for a server is CentOS 5. it's built off from RHEL 5, and it uses yum rather than redhat's updater.

want to know more, feel free. I'm not an expert but I've been building/running linux boxes in production environments for about 8 years now..

Linux is much much cheaper the winblows! I've personally used linux as my php server and voip server(using asterisk). And it works very well, never had to shut it down for 3 to 4 months at a time(only shut it down for routine hardware maintenance). I'm using gentoo, but if you are new to linux, start with redhat, or other distros that are user friendly.