the lo-down on ocala rules.

csrmel

some of you have asked about the new ocala rules and enforcements. i was just there 2 weeks ago and i talked to a number of ass rangers i mean park rangers because all they did was hassle me. i don't think they liked 2 strokes.

as of now you have to have a current off road sticker on the bike. it must be green and it must be stuck to the body somewhere.

you need the registration that goes with you're frame.

you need a drivers license that goes with the name on the registration.

you need the title that goes with the frame and registration.

all the vin numbers must match.

they will accept photocopy of the above items because they realize people are not going to want to risk losing the title or their license out in the woods. but when i was there 2 weeks ago i got stopped like 4 times and checked for tag and papers. what a bunch of crap.

the fines are huge, in the order of $500 for no tag. a couple hundred for no license.

the thing i REALLY don't understand is why do you need a on road drivers license to drive off road? thats so wrong. but whatever its not like anyone here doesn't have a license.

the title thing is ridiculous too, but they say it is to catch stolen atv's. ok i can understand that. i guess anyone with a valid bike won't have a problem making a few photocopies of their papers. the people with stolen bikes and shit are out of luck.

i certainly didnt have a hard time driving to publix to make a photocopy of the required items. i then had them laminated so they won't get ruined if gas or water comes in contact with the papers. each time i got stopped i just pulled out the copies and showed the ranger. he looked at them for a manute and said "ok" and left.

this is probably bad news for guys like chase, fastrthnu, etc who don't have valid papers.

but the good news is that big scrub was virtually empty. i guess all the riff raff with stolen frames cant come out to play anymore. (no offense you banshee owners with no titles) i literally rode the whole day and only ran into other people once on the trails. i guess everyone has no titles or something because the place was nearly empty compared to normal. this means riding at big scrub is really good. you can get a prime parking spot and not have neighbours nagging ya all nite.

big scrub still has some kickin showers with hot water. very nice restrooms. camping cost has increased from $6 a day to $12 a day. you don't have to set up at the campgrounds anymore. there are 3 sets of dedicated parking areas under the powerlines. if you want to park there it is free but there are NO amenities at all. not even a toilet.

so basically thats the ld on bs. anyone with a legit bike is free to ride.

also if you have a garmin gps with the recent map updates, it has the FULL assortment of trails throughout bigscrub built in.

yeah.. Thats gonna suck for my cousin. He lives in Inverness. He moved from MI and we built his bike from the frame up. New chassis from the factory dont have VIN numbers... guess were screwed if we go. :shrug:

Why can't you apply for a vin number. I am sure it would be the same process as if you buil your own custom chopper.

for you guys without titles, just go to the dmv and explain the situation. it might help to fake up i mean make up a bill of sale. they will probably issue you one as long as you're vin isn't reported stolen. the world in general is crackin down on stolen vehicles. each year more and more places get closed to unlicensed atv's so you might as well get the registration over with.

Did they say anything about paying to ride inthe forest itself. Isn't it like $75 per year or something? Does not sound like they enforced that as long as you had the Green sticker?

Sup man, I am having some weired ass clutch noise right now I am trying to figure out!! 91banshee is actually selling me a new cltuch basket and gears which I hope will clear things up :mellow:

hey shane. the head campgrounds manager said we need some kind of yearly pass for $75, or a 3 day pass for $10. by the way i still got youre green cooler. im sure you don't care about it anymore as its only worth $10 perhaps. but i still hold onto it because at this point its going to be amusing to finally give it back to you. long lost cooler seperated at birth!

i don't like typing out speculation because it nearly always leads to disaster however now ill go and speculate.

i *^*THINK*^* a yearly pass is only if you park at a campgrounds. the campgrounds manager said it costs $75 a year or $10 for a 3 day temporary pass. the $10 option sounds more reasonable since none of us are going to go there more than a few times a year. i base this on the fact that i was pulled over and checked quite a few times by roaming park rangers and they never asked for any pass or membership. just the 4 required items, a green sticker, a registration, a license and a title. nobody ever asked for any sort of pass.

so i think if you want to camp at the offical campgrounds and enjoy luxurys like hot water showers, sinks with running water and a mirror, indoor toilets, etc its $12 a day for camping and $10 for a 3 day pass. i think the pass is for the campgrounds. but im not sure. i don't see why they charge for any pass if they don't check for it. i was never checked for it. maybe they check you at the campgrounds gates? i didnt stay in the campgrounds because a few of my buddies had illegal atv's so we stayed out on the powerline road and kept to the backtrails to avoid rangers.

lol, still got my green cooler haha? Maybe one day once I get the Shee running without this noise we can ride out again! Hopefully I will be good to go this weekend.

I am a happy camper as last week I finally got my Green Sticker and a new title! So I am perfectly legal. Just have to make a copy and keep it with me :evil:

We should definitely hook up again soon .... :cool:

lol, still got my green cooler haha? Maybe one day once I get the Shee running without this noise we can ride out again! Hopefully I will be good to go this weekend.

I am a happy camper as last week I finally got my Green Sticker and a new title! So I am perfectly legal. Just have to make a copy and keep it with me :evil:

We should definitely hook up again soon .... :cool:

hey joe, you comin out this weekend or what?