The best laid plans....

Coupelx

Since the banshee is laid to rest till spring when i redo the motor i decided its time for some boost. Ive had a couple 2.3t Mustangs so i decided i wanted a turbo 5.0. The goal is 400rwhp that is streetable down to air conditioning. this is at 8-10psi and the turbos should be efficient to 14 before dropping off the compressor map. thats enough enough boost to shatter a late model roller 302 :blink:

The car is just your basic bolton 5.0 with a gt40 topend, trick flow cam, aod and shift it, and 4.10s in the rear. probably 240 to the rear wheels currently

I hit up ebay this week and here this months purchases:

2 of these:

RSnTurboCoupeUG.jpg

They are smallish IHI turbos found on the 87-88 turbo coupes. should spool by 2500.

One of these to keep tabs on the AFR:

aem_guages.jpg

Wideband of course

These are the headers. they require a bit of modding to work with the accessories but for the $160 i paid for them who cares?

f9f7_1.JPG

Of course gotta have the ricer BOV...

GR-O%20Bov2.jpg

Also bought another set of turbo flanges to use as spacers if needed but no pics of those.

Next month ill get the intercooler, 42lb injectors, and the MAF meter and probably the little things like feeds and drains, couplers and clamps. then eventually a couple more guages and some misc stuff to round off the installation. im shooting to have it drivable by easter for the local rod run.

Some pics of the car, its not painted as i havent figured out what color or anything so i just keep making it go faster:

n594081403_118202_9922.jpg

rodrun07_036-1.jpg

Broke the drivers side motor mount on this one :whistling:

rodrun07_086.jpg

0808072017a.jpg

Ill most more as i get stuff in and mocked up on my spare motor.

Edited by Coupelx

• 2 weeks later...

looks good and you seem to know youre turbo's, but i think you probably need 12-13psi to reach 400hp, considering that no turbo is 100% efficient and all 8-10 psi isnt going to get 400, unless you are doing some motor mods that i am not aware of at the same time as the turbo install?