Right hand slide twisting?

mall0y

Hey guys. Recently I switched my throttle/air filter setup. I removed the TORS, put in the idle kit, got rid of the air box and put pods on it, re-jetted, and threw a twist throttle on. Well, everything was running fine until I broke my throttle cable one day. So, I got a replacement cable and put it on. Started the bike up, took it for a rip down the street. As soon as I cracked the gas the throttle stuck. So, I shut it off and pushed it back into the garage.

I took the pods off and noticed that the right hand slide was stuck up, at full throttle. So, I took the cap off, re-positioned it, put the cap back on, and pulled the throttle (without the bike running or the pods on). When I twisted the throttle (all they way to full throttle) the slide seemed to be coming up, then once it reached the top it twisted about 1/4 of a turn. :blink:

No matter what I did I couldn't figure out why it was doing this. I switched the springs, caps, and cable ends and it still did it. I took the cable apart and lubed everything up and put it back together and it still twists. It only happens on the right side. The left works fine. So, does anybody know what could be causing this? If I need to, I can put the stock thumb throttle back on (which would mean I'd also have to buy a new cable). Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!

- Dave

you arent missing some kind of stop are you? i havent had a bike with stock carbs so im not much help :confused:

I don't think so. I didn't take the carbs apart or even off of the bike when I changed the cable. I didn't have much time to monkey with it. My bro wanted to go riding so when I couldn't figure this out I just jumped on the dirt bike and went out. I'm at school right now, so the next time I'll get to look at it is this weekend. I just thought someone may have ran into this problem before and could give me a little insight. Thanks.

Edited by mall0y

There is a brass pin pressed in your carb,on the opposite side of the Idle screw that loosens up on some stock carbs, If you pull your carb slide out you can see this pin rides in a groove (opposite side of tapered). Most likely the pin has backed out of the groove allowing the slide to pivot around and lay ontop of the idle screw once they are brought off idle (needs to be pushed back in and set)

Edited by knelson

There is a brass pin pressed in your carb,on the opposite side of the Idle screw that loosens up on some stock carbs, If you pull your carb slide out you can see this pin rides in a groove (opposite side of tapered). Most likely the pin has backed out of the groove allowing the slide to pivot around and lay ontop of the idle screw once they are brought off idle (needs to be pushed back in and set)

Are you talking about this...

picture is attached....

post-13010-1194325069.gif

no, on the inside of the slide bore, there is a grove cut in your slide for the tit to go into, if you dont have to line up your slide to get it into the bore than the tit is gone.

I know what you are saying, but I'm looking at a stock left side carb and it looks like this tit is pressed in from the outside. The part that I circled is what appears to be this tit when looking at it from the outside. Am I right or wrong?

no, that is the wrong side of the carb, it is on the other side, what you are showing is where you drill out to install the idle adjustment screws after removing the tors caps

Ok, well I'll check this out when I get a chance to look at the carbs on my quad. I installed the idle kit on my other carbs and I could swear the idle screws were drilled lower. Oh well, I'll just have to wait till friday...