how does a bigger carb mean more power?

krazy jake

Ok this is probably the stupidest question but how does putting a bigger carb make more power? i mean what does it do to increas power if you still have the same jetting for it to run right? same amount of air so it would be same amount of gas then how would a bigger carb make more power? :geek: I just dont see it. so could somoen explain it to me please I am but a wee padawan and my mind thirst for knowledge. lol

A bigger carb doesn't always mean more power. You can over carb a motor. A bigger carb will flow more air, so the motor needs more fuel to keep it from leaning out. A 34mm carb will pull more fuel through a 250 main, than a 28mm carb will, with the 250 main. Porting, pipes, and other performance parts will determine how big of carbs your motor needs. Remember, your motor is an air pump, and the more air you can put into it, the more power you will get out of it.

Ok this is probably the stupidest question but how does putting a bigger carb make more power? i mean what does it do to increas power if you still have the same jetting for it to run right? same amount of air so it would be same amount of gas then how would a bigger carb make more power? :geek: I just dont see it. so could somoen explain it to me please I am but a wee padawan and my mind thirst for knowledge. lol

well i have bigger carbs on my banshee and it realy makes a lot more tork and power on the top end not so much the bottom (it has something to do with the velocity of the air travailing thru the carbs wen the motor is at low RPM's) i think my 35mm (verses stock 26mm)are a hell of a lot better set up than stock or a 2>1

just my 2 sense

Edited by chevrolet banshee

Yea but if its the same size jet then how is it going to make a difference? i just dont understand this. so your saying a bigger carb with the same size jet as a smaller carb makes a difference in power. i just dont see how if it is the same amount of fuel going through. you get me? errr like this lets say what does the size of the carb actualy do to change the way the power is, be it torque or high end i understand that smaller carbs give more tourque and bigger carbs give top end at the expense of low end. but i dont understand how? Or why! if its still gonna take the same amount of fuel to air bigger carbs or not?

Yea but if its the same size jet then how is it going to make a difference? i just dont understand this. so your saying a bigger carb with the same size jet as a smaller carb makes a difference in power. i just dont see how if it is the same amount of fuel going through. you get me? errr like this lets say what does the size of the carb actualy do to change the way the power is, be it torque or high end i understand that smaller carbs give more tourque and bigger carbs give top end at the expense of low end. but i dont understand how? Or why! if its still gonna take the same amount of fuel to air bigger carbs or not?

A bigger carb will pull more fuel through a jet, than a smaller carb, but the larger carb will also flow more air. More air, and fuel equals more power. It's not the same amount of fuel. Re-read my post. Bigger carbs flow more air, and fuel, and that's why they give the power increase.

Ok well a big carb will let more air to the motor letting it rev a little higher but also the air is flowing ez'er thru the carb and it will not pick up as muck gas because it lowers the vacuum in the carb so it it dos not get as much gas i.e leaning it out. this is also why the low end will suck with bigger carbs. the motor is not at a very high rev the velocity thru the carbs if very little also it is not picking up much gas so it will not pick up as fast

hope i helped

A bigger carb will pull more fuel through a jet, than a smaller carb, but the larger carb will also flow more air. More air, and fuel equals more power. It's not the same amount of fuel. Re-read my post. Bigger carbs flow more air, and fuel, and that's why they give the power increase.

ya but if you do not have a lot of motor mods like porting wont the speed of the air travailing thru the carbs (witch wood be lower) not let it pick up as much gas?

ya but if you do not have a lot of motor mods like porting wont the speed of the air travailing thru the carbs (witch wood be lower) not let it pick up as much gas?

Yes, and that's why I said that you can over carb, or put too big of carbs on a motor. The concensus that I've got from reading on this site is, that 30mm carbs are big enough, for a stock Banshee motor, with bolt ons. Put porting, stroker cranks, drag pipes, and/or aftermarket cylinders, on one, and then you can use bigger carbs. The air flowing through the carb siphons the gas up from the bowl, so getting more air flowing through the carb, causes more gas to be sucked up out of the bowl. Bigger carbs=more air+more fuel, if something in, or on the motor isn't choking the air flow down. Personally, I say you have way more carb than you need, for your motor. I'm running 34mm flatslides with a 4mm stroker, and CPI inframes, plus porting, and a few more odds, and ends. You have bolt ons, with 35mm carbs, which is way more carb than your motor needs.

Edited by fastbanshee8

Ok so your saying that it sucks more air as well as gas thus making more power instead of just bogging down from to much gas. like lets say umm stock carbs with lid off air box and some pipes vs same setup with bigger carbs is that bigger carbs can suck more air in and more gas thus making more power. whearas a smaller carb can only suck in a certain amount of air but a bigger carb will suck more air to equal it out and make power. kinda confusing the way i wrote it but i think i get what you are saying... lol but thnx for explaing it to me! :thanks::thanks::thanks: