having serious trouble jetting

04titanse

i have a 2000 banshee stock motor here are my mods:

toomey t5 pipes and silencers

clamp on k&n with outerwears going to prob put the lid on with vents and remove the outerwears

adj timing plate +4 timing

right now i have 280 mains with dynojet needle on the 4th clip from the blunt side with the air screws 2.5 turns from all the way in.

compression is between 115-120 in both cylinders.

average elevation is under 1000ft temp now is around 40-45 degrees

right now the bike starts well and idles ok but runs terrible. hard to drive without stalling due to serious bogging. cannot get out of 1st gear easily. 1/4 throttle is the most i can give it without it bogging and stalling. with choke on it runs a little better but still terrible. it doesn't over rev and the rpms drop back like normal. when reving in neutral it feels almost normal... a little slow on reving but not terrible. the pipes and silencers are used and i think the packing is shot because it pops a bunch and sounds kinda bad.

i am very confused and any help with this would be great. I am new at jetting and trying to get this running well.

i have a 2000 banshee stock motor here are my mods:

toomey t5 pipes and silencers

clamp on k&n with outerwears going to prob put the lid on with vents and remove the outerwears

adj timing plate +4 timing

right now i have 280 mains with dynojet needle on the 4th clip from the blunt side with the air screws 2.5 turns from all the way in.

compression is between 115-120 in both cylinders.

average elevation is under 1000ft temp now is around 40-45 degrees

right now the bike starts well and idles ok but runs terrible. hard to drive without stalling due to serious bogging. cannot get out of 1st gear easily. 1/4 throttle is the most i can give it without it bogging and stalling. with choke on it runs a little better but still terrible. it doesn't over rev and the rpms drop back like normal. when reving in neutral it feels almost normal... a little slow on reving but not terrible. the pipes and silencers are used and i think the packing is shot because it pops a bunch and sounds kinda bad.

i am very confused and any help with this would be great. I am new at jetting and trying to get this running well.

Your main is too small and air screw is out too far( personal opinion though)...Swap out with a 300-340 main, needle in 3rd clip, airscrew out 1.5-2 turns out and see what happens..May need to drop in a bigger pilot. Also try moving the air screw to 1-1.5 turens out and see what happens before you start taking things apart. The popping isn't from the packing that's from the jetting being off. Sounds like you're running lean

i have two questions:

1.) where can i get a couple diff. main jets

2.) where is the piolet jet and what does it do?

any one else have any opinion on where i should start. a 340 main sounds huge for just bolt ons. also what size pilot jets should i consider, i want to buy a bunch on mains and pilots so that i can experiment and change for seasons and for location. I am really trying to get this machine running again. if anyone can please help i would appreciate it.

Your main is too small and air screw is out too far( personal opinion though)...Swap out with a 300-340 main, needle in 3rd clip, airscrew out 1.5-2 turns out and see what happens..May need to drop in a bigger pilot. Also try moving the air screw to 1-1.5 turens out and see what happens before you start taking things apart. The popping isn't from the packing that's from the jetting being off. Sounds like you're running lean

handyman i will try to mess with the air screw and then change to a 340 main and see what happens. the dynojet kit only came with a 280 and 340 so i will need to get some more jets. but i will give it a shot thanks for the help

handyman i will try to mess with the air screw and then change to a 340 main and see what happens. the dynojet kit only came with a 280 and 340 so i will need to get some more jets. but i will give it a shot thanks for the help

Don't forget to raise that clip! Sounds as if one of your problems is a rich clip position.

IF running stock pilot , turn air/fuel screw only 1/2 turn out. If it likes it but needs more i highly recommend 27.5 pilots. Prolly should run a 310-320 main with clamp on's, timing, and 40 degrees!!

IF running stock pilot , turn air/fuel screw only 1/2 turn out. If it likes it but needs more i highly recommend 27.5 pilots. Prolly should run a 310-320 main with clamp on's, timing, and 40 degrees!!

i will play with air screw and then most likely change the pilot jet and put a fatter main. I am using the dynojet needle on the 4th clip down from the top flat part. so i will put it on the 3rd clip. also do you sell jet for stock carbs? if so should i give you a call.

i just put the needle of the 3rd clip and put the air screws .5 turns out and it still runs about the same. runs better with full choke so its obviously still very lean. i just picked up some more main jets and i am going to try a 320 main.

ok i just put in 320 mains and the air screw .5 turns out from seated. the dynojet needle is on the 3rd clip. and it runs much better than before. but it still has very little power, i did this with the k&N clamp on with outerwears and with the lid on. when i took the lid off, it ran like shit again bogging and crap. with the lid on i can get through the gears but it reallys hti power band very little and it has like no power at all. i feel like going from the 280 to the 320 made a big difference but is it possible that i still need to go bigger? it seems like with my mods 320 should be more than big enough.

also i feel like an idiot for asking but where is the pilot jet, i cant find it and i cant get one from the dealer unless i show them the stock one to compare to? sorry for the stupid question but i searched and could not find anything about it location is the carb. pictures would help but any advice is appreciated. you guys have helped me out so much the last week I love the forum!!!!!!!!! hopefully the more i learn i can help people out when they are having the same troubles i am

2000 banshee

toomey t5's with silencers

+4 degrees timing

k&N clamp on with lid on

jetting

stock pilot

320 mains

air screw .5 out

avg elev. under 1000

avg. temp 40-45 degrees

ok i just put in 320 mains and the air screw .5 turns out from seated. the dynojet needle is on the 3rd clip. and it runs much better than before. but it still has very little power, i did this with the k&N clamp on with outerwears and with the lid on. when i took the lid off, it ran like shit again bogging and crap. with the lid on i can get through the gears but it reallys hti power band very little and it has like no power at all. i feel like going from the 280 to the 320 made a big difference but is it possible that i still need to go bigger? it seems like with my mods 320 should be more than big enough.

also i feel like an idiot for asking but where is the pilot jet, i cant find it and i cant get one from the dealer unless i show them the stock one to compare to? sorry for the stupid question but i searched and could not find anything about it location is the carb. pictures would help but any advice is appreciated. you guys have helped me out so much the last week I love the forum!!!!!!!!! hopefully the more i learn i can help people out when they are having the same troubles i am

2000 banshee

toomey t5's with silencers

+4 degrees timing

k&N clamp on with lid on

jetting

stock pilot

320 mains

air screw .5 out

avg elev. under 1000

avg. temp 40-45 degrees

i am going to correct myself here. when i was testing with the 280 main i was running without a lid and even with the 320 it made no difference.; so its like i didnt really change a hole hell of a lot. obviously with the lid on it will essentially richen it a little by restricting the flow of air and therefore giving less air to the mixture.

what i dont understand is that all the signs say it running too lean but even when going from a 280 to a 320 it really runs no different.

come one anyone have any advice i need to get this thing running?