gearing/chain questions (searched)

13bturbofc

ok after searching for like an hour thrugh like 100 chain questions i couldnt find the info im looking for..i got my banshee a couple weeks ago it was setup for asphalt drags it had a +12 swing arm and 16/44 gearing im not going to be draging the bike so im swapping out the swing arm for a stock one. now im trying to figure out what gearing i want for trail riding and some riding in the snow i guess im looking for something about in the middle of high speed and low end power..i have brand new 14 15 16 and 17 tooth front sprokets and a 41 and 44 rear sprokets.. im guessing i could use the huge chain that was on it cause it is brand new and cut it down right? how do i do this can i just grind down the pins? and aprox how many links should my chain have for a specific gearing? thanks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a good all aroud gearing is stock.. 14/41.... you can either grind the pins out or buy a chain breaktool and puch the pins out... but yes you can use the long chain. if you used it alot before its not the best to use new sprokets on an old chain though...

i cant remember off the top of my head how many llinks are needed for a stock arm... 103? ..... to be honest im not sure... just put the chain on with the gearing and messure it out ....

a good all aroud gearing is stock.. 14/41.... you can either grind the pins out or buy a chain breaktool and puch the pins out... but yes you can use the long chain. if you used it alot before its not the best to use new sprokets on an old chain though...

i cant remember off the top of my head how many llinks are needed for a stock arm... 103? ..... to be honest im not sure... just put the chain on with the gearing and messure it out ....

ok im pretty sure stock lenght is 104

EDIT: beat me to it

Edited by 13bturbofc

16-44 is'nt to far off from 14-41 in gearing. 16-44 is a 2.75 ratio and 14-41 is a 2.92 ratio. 16-44 is'nt high enough gearing for asphalt in my oppinion. either way consider in tire size also. does it have 20 inch or 22 inch tires on the rear?

16-44 is'nt to far off from 14-41 in gearing. 16-44 is a 2.75 ratio and 14-41 is a 2.92 ratio. 16-44 is'nt high enough gearing for asphalt in my oppinion. either way consider in tire size also. does it have 20 inch or 22 inch tires on the rear?

there is a bit of differance in the pants from 2.75 to 2.92... but he is getting away from asphalt and going back to dirt so either way he needs to go back to more of a stock gearing setup or near it

what i was actually getting at is the fact that if he goes with 14-41 which is 2.92 ratio and he has 22 inch tires on the rear because it was ran on asphalt that 2.92 will actually be more close to 2.71 ratio. just saying consider tire size being ran when determining gearing.

just wanted to add that i've lined up against a few guys on asphalt and at the track allows atv's to run any tire they want and there 's alot of them that go with 22 inch DIRT tires so when they leave the track they change a sprocket or two and run the trails,lol.

just wanted to add that i've lined up against a few guys on asphalt and at the track allows atv's to run any tire they want and there 's alot of them that go with 22 inch DIRT tires so when they leave the track they change a sprocket or two and run the trails,lol.

No offense, but if they're running dirt tires on pavement, they're not serious about racing and/or not making enough HP to make a difference....

No offense, but if they're running dirt tires on pavement, they're not serious about racing and/or not making enough HP to make a difference....

bingo..

and I'm here just to debate? comon dude are you fuking seriouse? I'm on here daliy giving guys help so they dont waste money on stupid shit... becasue there are too many guys that give bad gawge...

oh theres alot of them that are very serious about it. its all bracket racing and many of them are very hard to beat,lol. you should try it sometime,lol. its one thing to get beat by a faster,more powerful machine than you got but getting beat by a 16 yr old girl on a blaster really sucks,lol.

bansh have a nice nite :biggrin: