Clutch Slipping

GFB

She slipped really bad in 3rd yesterday. Previous owner said he put a good clutch in it (maybe white bros?) not too long ago. It has taken a bit of abuse, but can't have more than 25hrs ride time on the clutch. Anything I should check or just replace the thing? Quad has FMFs, reeds/cages, mild p&p. Stock compression. Will a cheap ebay clutch hold up or is it a waste of time/money?

what year is the motor? the clutch components could be worn causing the clutch to slip. if all the other clutch parts are worn out, a new clutch will mask it for a short time, and then start slipping again. i suggest a tear down of the side cover to inspect your clutch parts.

Check the torque on the clutch springs, Make sure they are all the exact same and to spec...I had a problem like this with my stock clutch.. Dirt digger makes a decent one.. Has been through a lot and still running strong. I have all 6 aftermarket springs though which makes for a real bad pump in the forearm...

She slipped really bad in 3rd yesterday. Previous owner said he put a good clutch in it (maybe white bros?) not too long ago. It has taken a bit of abuse, but can't have more than 25hrs ride time on the clutch. Anything I should check or just replace the thing? Quad has FMFs, reeds/cages, mild p&p. Stock compression. Will a cheap ebay clutch hold up or is it a waste of time/money?

I've never used one...but for a minor built motor such as yours, people swear by the cheapo tusk clutch kit from Rocky Mountain ATV.

I bought my clutch from Jeff @ FAST (a site sponsor, by the way) and I'm on my third year of hard abuse on it. Stocker with bolt ons in 05, 4 mil cub last year (95ish HP) and my 10 mil on alky this year (120ish HP)...it just keeps on going.

My advice is get a good clutch, use 3 HD springs and 3 stockers, and get an EZ Pull clutch perch/lever assembly...

And if the cable is more than a few years old, get a new one, they're less than 15 bucks and you'd be surprised how a new cable feels...

As loco said...however, very critical. The inner and outer hub are about 50 bucks for both brand new....worth it.

If the basket is showing a lot of notching, well...replace that while you're at it....