Jetting - Starting to pull out hair!

number52

Thank you everyone for your help. I'm sure this is the cause to the way too rich jetting. Still can't figure out why Yamaha had to put two carbs on this bike and the Craptor. And the TORS system is a pain in the rear too! I'll start at around 280 mains and needle on the next to the bottom clip position. If that main jet sounds too small please let me know. Not familiar with the Banshee's at all. I guess that's what you get when someone else try's to work on a bike that doesn't know what their doing!

Edited by number52

Thank you everyone for your help. I'm sure this is the cause to the way too rich jetting. Still can't figure out why Yamaha had to put two carbs on this bike and the Craptor. And the TORS system is a pain in the rear too! I'll start at around 280 mains and needle on the next to the bottom clip position. If that main jet sounds too small please let me know. Not familiar with the Banshee's at all. I guess that's what you get when someone else try's to work on a bike that doesn't know what their doing!

nah, 280s is a decent place to start just don't be surprised if you have to go up. did you ever tell us your elevation?

Ok, I worked for 3 more hours on this POS! Here is what I've done.

Put a new hose on between carbs where the choke is - didn't make a difference, think it may have made it worse because this bike is running WAY too rich.

Purchased a new DynoJet kit for it because I have no idea what the person before me did to it. Put new needles in and noticed that one of the needles I took out was like 1/4" longer than the other carburetor. WTF. Installed DynoJet needles on 4th clip like the instructions said - didn't make a difference, still bogs with airbox lid ON, take the lid off and bogs on 0-1/2 throttle then once it cleans out it takes off.

Then I pulled the carbs back off and replaced the 220 mains with the 280's like everyone on here is telling me to do. Also completely went through the carburetors, pulled out all the jets, even the air jet to the main jet. Pulled out reeds and it has Boysen Carbon Fibers with reed cage in it and they look very good, no cracks or pieces missing. Also installed new plugs at this time too. Bike runs way worse, will only run about 5 mph with lid on and about 15 with lid off, bogs all the time.

Anyone got another idea? Pulled plugs and they are always soaked and there is fuel and oil mix coming out of where the pipe and silencer meet.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, I worked for 3 more hours on this POS! Here is what I've done.

Put a new hose on between carbs where the choke is - didn't make a difference, think it may have made it worse because this bike is running WAY too rich.

Purchased a new DynoJet kit for it because I have no idea what the person before me did to it. Put new needles in and noticed that one of the needles I took out was like 1/4" longer than the other carburetor. WTF. Installed DynoJet needles on 4th clip like the instructions said - didn't make a difference, still bogs with airbox lid ON, take the lid off and bogs on 0-1/2 throttle then once it cleans out it takes off.

Then I pulled the carbs back off and replaced the 220 mains with the 280's like everyone on here is telling me to do. Also completely went through the carburetors, pulled out all the jets, even the air jet to the main jet. Pulled out reeds and it has Boysen Carbon Fibers with reed cage in it and they look very good, no cracks or pieces missing. Also installed new plugs at this time too. Bike runs way worse, will only run about 5 mph with lid on and about 15 with lid off, bogs all the time.

Anyone got another idea? Pulled plugs and they are always soaked and there is fuel and oil mix coming out of where the pipe and silencer meet.

check compression and if good,get a clymers manual and a multi-tester and check elecs-stator,primary coil,secondary coil,cdi box.

280 is too rich. Start with 260's. Your bike boggs because it is too rich. The symptom in your first post (falling flat on its face after 2-3 seconds when revving) absolutely indicate being too lean. I am not saying change your jets "just because 220 is too lean".

I think you may be too rich on the bottom and that is causing the bogging and after changing to 280 mains (due to "expert" advise) your bike is also way too rich on top.

Let me know how it turns out.