Rebuild time

macgillivary

did a compression test on my cylinders and with port work they are down to 90psi so im gonna rebuild her

what i wanna know is when people do rebuilds on motors that didnt blow do they usually bore them or just buy a new piston kit the same size and put it back together without boring?

or if its a judgement call how do you tell whether to bore your cylinders, mine are not scratched up at all they look good

thanks

find out what the piston to cylinder clearance is supposed to be for your pistons. any competent machine shop can measure your pistons and cylinder to find out wha the piston to cylinder clearance is, if it is out of spec, i twill need to be bored. the shop will also be able to tell if the bore is out of round and if it has any taper in it. they will then be able to tell you how much of bore it will need to be round again so you can order the right pistons. cuz its not just scratches in the bore that you are looking for, a bore with a lot of use on it can become oval in shape and develop a taper, so if you just rering, you will not get max performance out ot it, and your new rings will wear out much quicker. let me know if you didn't understand any of that..

using old pistons seems a little sketchy to me

thats just asking for a broken skirt

but glad to hear i wont need to bore

you need to have your cylinders measured to make sure the bore is still round and straight beofre you can determine whether or not it need or not it needs to be bored. most shops charge very little if anything to measure your stuff, and its worth while to have it done.

you need to have your cylinders measured to make sure the bore is still round and straight before you can determine whether or not it need or not it needs to be bored. Most shops charge very little if anything to measure your stuff, and it's worth while to have it done.

I concur, that is good advice. :thumbsup: