chroming cases

91banshee

has anyone ever had a set of cases chromed , polishing is just to much work and dulls out quickly .

yea i know the saying chrome wont get ya home but looks good pushen , but man it looks good

Chrome would be fine if you mask everything off properly (read: alot of work). The other issue, however minor, is that chrome acts as a thermal barrier which can slow down the heat rejection from your cases. If you need chrome work done I can suggest someone to do it.

Polishing and a clear coat might make more sense. :geek:

Chrome would be fine if you mask everything off properly (read: alot of work). The other issue, however minor, is that chrome acts as a thermal barrier which can slow down the heat rejection from your cases. If you need chrome work done I can suggest someone to do it.

Polishing and a clear coat might make more sense. :geek:

thanks for the info , i didnt think about the aluminum not beaing able to trasfer heat as well , i think im gona polish the top and the clear coat it

when you chrome out aluminum, after a while the chrome starts to peal off, i would polish instead or pc.

thats not always the case, if you have a quality chromer do the alum they will last just as long as any other type of chrome.when they peel its because the mtal was not preped well. the guy that firehead is talking about can give you the down and dirty on it...

Edited by Bansh-eman

has anyone ever had a set of cases chromed , polishing is just to much work and dulls out quickly .

yea i know the saying chrome wont get ya home but looks good pushen , but man it looks good

Sides case Covers sure no problem. Cases, could be done but hoesntly I don't tink I would do it. Top case half could turn out nice but the lower half has all those tight spots where it is hard to polish and hard to get chromed. Second, during to steps of the 24 dip process there are two chemicals that do some small etching for the electrolis nickle and chromate to adhear properly. This would be a potential problem to your bearing surfaces.

A set of cases would run around $300 - $450 depending on the condition. Cast aluminum does not chrome very nice without a crap load of polish time.

IMO - Powdercoat them.