4mil Gearing ?'s

phx450

4 mil cub.

+8 swinger.

Weight 205.

any thoughts on gearing for olds?

i ran a 14-46 this last time and i feel like i should be running a 44 or 45 in the rear to get some more top end up the hill.

Looking to see what similar setups you guys are running. Dune season is almost upon us!

4 mil cub.

+8 swinger.

Weight 205.

i ran a 14-46 this last time and i feel like i should be running a 44 or 45 in the rear to get some more top end up the hill.

Looking to see what similar setups you guys are running. Dune season is almost upon us!

I ran 14/42 on my 4 mil cub.

Is it on alky? Go bigger up front, like 15 or 16, and a 42 to 44 on back.

its on gas now. It runs with the best of them on gas. But yes Alchol will be coming for Halloween.

i was planning on a 44-45 on the rear. But you think change the front as well?

How much you weigh?

Front sprocket is easier to change, so you think if i put a 15-16 on the front i could leave the 46 on the rear?

Nice!

I think i will pick up a 15 tooth front and then 43,44,45 rear. That should cover me.

When the alchol comes i can probably run the 16 front.

Nice!

I think i will pick up a 15 tooth front and then 43,44,45 rear. That should cover me.

When the alchol comes i can probably run the 16 front.

:evil:i am running 16/41 with a 4 mil on racing fuel...not launching as good as i would like...gonna try 14 and 15 up front...also with the 16/41 i fried my clutch...launching on hard pack 300 ft drag strip...i weigh 180-190...dbr

Im no expert but thats the plan.

THey say the front equals 3 on the rear.

Smaller rear is more top end

Bigger front more top end.

Both of these changes could affect the launch.

Either way im tossing a 15 on the front and working from that point!

Picked up a 45 front and 45 and 47 rear, that should cover me on both ends.

Damn...homie. 45 front? YOu gonna have John Force pull start you ....LOL.

That thing's gonna pass a "busa....LOL.

15 tooth, I know, just funnin with you.

I don't think you're going to want to go larger than a 45 rear once you put 15 on the front.

4 mil cub.

+8 swinger.

Weight 205.

I run a 14/41 (stock ratio) and am happy with the result with my 4 mil setup at Olds. A 15/44 ends up the same as the stock ratio and a 14/43 ends up being about in the middle of the 15F 45/47R result. It would seem that running a smaller sprocket set both F/R and the correspondingly shorter chain would be beneficial as far as reduced unsprung weight and increased ground clearance.

Here is a sprocket gearing/ratio chart:

http://www.dropbears.com/u/utilities/sprocket.htm

Jay From SanD.

I was planning on going up on the front to a 15. Riding it to see how it runs.

Here is my issue, i believe that its overreving as i near the top with the current 14-46. With the 15 frontit should help out on top end a ton. If its a problem i can then always toss a bigger sprocket on the rear.

Ideally on the ratio chart where do you want to be? The bike launchs great, however in 5th gear i feel like i could use some more grunt. Well see! i just figure changing the fronts are easier then the rear!

• 1 month later...
I was planning on going up on the front to a 15. Riding it to see how it runs.

Here is my issue, i believe that its overreving as i near the top with the current 14-46. With the 15 frontit should help out on top end a ton. If its a problem i can then always toss a bigger sprocket on the rear.

Ideally on the ratio chart where do you want to be? The bike launchs great, however in 5th gear i feel like i could use some more grunt. Well see! i just figure changing the fronts are easier then the rear!

put a pic up of your cub,ill be there with my cub if u want to give it a shot.grudge match.yeahhhhhhhhhh.i told u what gearing ill be running out there.anyway it should be lots of fun. :banghead: :beer:

heres a pic of my cub the black with purplelish burgandy frame.iam also in the dueces[230]

59271-labordayweekend2007-61.jpg

Edited by bada450r

I don't know about gearing down at sea level, but on my 4mil stock cylinder duner I run 14x42 with a 10 paddle 20" tire. Shorter tire with a lot of paddle, but it works. I was running 14x40 with my 21" 9 paddle extremes and it did pretty good. Buy a bunch of cheap gears from rockymountainatv and play with it and once you figure out what you like, order some good gears and chain.