Porting with a 2-1 carb setup

Heres what my banshee has before i ask my question, t- force5 pipe ,trinity2-1 intake pwk 35mm,lightened flywheel,noss machine head 19cc domes v force 3 cascade reed holder= larger opening than stock v force, 14-42 gearing im about 220 lbs, when i went from stock carbs to the single it seems like i lost a little top end but got gotso much power everywhere else and is so much more fun to ride especially in pismo where i mostly ride, i love the powerband now its not so violent and the bike feels just as fast if not a little faster i just have to shift sooner. im a duner and trail rider , but i like drag racing and i just want to go faster with the combo i have now,id like a 4 mill, would it be a waist to get my cyls ported and a stroker crank if i keep the single carb setup, would the difference in power be minnimal? could i just get a mild dune port or is there such a thing as an aggressive woods port, i dont mind losing a little bottom end but i would like to feel a huge difference in powere and maybe make it about 3 bike lenghts faster, who does the best porting for a 2-1? also when i went to glamis with the mods listed except for stock carbs my bike wouldnt pull 4th up the steep side, would porting solve this?any help or comments positive or negative is appreciated thanks.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your thinking about doing a 4 mill crank. Dont have your cylinders ported for the stock crank. Once they are ported for the stock crank the port timings are to far advanced for the 4 mill crank.

Do the 4 mill crank and get a port job that matches the style of riding you want. I would go for the dune port. Dune port sounds agressive but it is probably the best port job. The builder ports the cylinders to get the best ballance of low end torque and high rpm horse power.

With the 2:1 intake if you feel that it is holdingyou back you can always sell it on here and get a dual carb setup. It will run with a 2:1.

mx port job = low end grunt = Paul Turner Mids.

Trail port job = all around port job = DMC Pipes

Dune port job = Maximum HP with out sacrificeing Mid range. = Toomey T5 pipes

Drag Port = Maximum HP at the expence of low and mid range power = CPI or other Drag Pipes.

I have stage 4 porting, t5 pipes, noss head with 19cc domes, stock stroke longrod crank, dyna ignition and a 35mm trinity 2 into 1 with v-force reeds 15 42 gearing and a stock swing arm and I love the way it runs.

Porting isn't really decided on what carb setup you want to run, its decided on how you want your power delivery to be like. A 2 into 1 carb setup will work great with anything but a full on drag port job. We have bikes with stock, mild port, 4mill stroker, and 6mill motors running 2 into 1 intakes and they run awesome in the sand and on the trails. You just need to buy the proper size carb for what motor you build. Unless you go really big stroke, a pwk 35mm carb seems to work awesome across the board.

with the stroked crank you'll fell more power down low even with the higher exhaust port.. when you rasie the exhaust port the engine tends to get "pipey" the stroker helps curb that "pipey" feeling.. as for the 2:! setup.. i ported a pair of cylinders for a guy names nitrousbaby (not sure if he's a member here but he is a member at e2s) and he uses a 2:1 setup... it's not a trinty though... and even with stock timing, heavy stock flywheel and a stock uncut head he was kicking ass on the drag strip against the 450's and other trial shees....

I think a 4 mill dune port sounds good then, i ilike to when at the drags, who doesnt, But my main concern is to keep the bike fun and have useable power than be the fastest, the only ported bike i rode was an alba dune ported 4 mill and the power hit was so late it was horiible to ride, topend was really strong but it just was weird, sometimes i ride with friends who are beginners and i just putt around and right now the bike works fine all around im just afraid of having the biike feel like that alba bike, no bottom or mid just a violent top end.

with cubs and a 35 you would prolly run the bowl out of gas :blink:

I run a stock stroke agressive trail port with a 38 airstriker, it runs really hard but the power delivery is hard to explain. For instance...riding it down the street it feels somewhat slow, but when your in the sand sidehilling and running the long hills it just doesn't slow down. I can ride it @ 70% of the throttle (compared to before the port job) and it's just as fast. If that makes sence to you. The gearing feels shorter and you need to shift earlier. This set up is ultra reliable and very low maintance.

Needless to say I am switching to duals before this season starts....After riding the shee for a year with this set up I am yurning for that nasty banshee hit when the power comes on. But if I lived in the woods and not in the wide open desert this set up would be ideal, pretty much everything I ride these days is wide open. I have some friends that have ran 4mil bikes with single Lectrons with really good results.

X-cite Bike!

Moto-Carrera did my porting....They have done some porting on some rz350's that I've rode and build some fast chit. They did not recommend running the 2-1 set up with my port, they said the stockers bored out would make alot more power than the 2-1 even with a 38. But recommend the Mikuni 32 Flat Slides with T-5s. These guys have been building RD400 motors for years and if you can hog out and keep one of those air-kewld pigs together I figured they could make a banshee run hard. I hope I get alot more out of the dual carbs.

I run a dune ported 4mm with a single 35 pwk w/ similar mods to yours and its a great combination. I was having some issues at oldsmobile due to my front end popping up at every gear change thru 4th so I've added a +2 swingarm for this season. I told my porter (Kevin @ Custom Creations) that I wanted power increases mostly on the bottom to upper midrange and he certainly delivered. I can easily lug my shee up a dune a gear high like I can with my 450 without issues. With the added swingarm length, it should make it a bit easier to ride as well.

Do you have a number for custom creations? Hey wall rat how was ur gas mileage after the stroker and porting? I also am looking for bottom end and midranger power. what is your gearing? How does your bike compare to the 450's, cuz my neighbors 450 with a piston, cams, exhaust, ported carb and intake smokes me big time and he still dunes it and now he sent the head to be ported so i at least want to keep up.

We already run 4mm stroked bikes and a 6mm with cubs on a 2 into 1 and it does very well. I would not recommend a set off stock bored 27mm round slides over a 2 into 1 intake on my worst drunk day. The problem here is they are building street bike engines and you own an ATV! Yeah, you do! :huh:

I'm 99% sure I'm running 15/43 gearing. As long as I took off SLOW in 2nd I'd beat the 450's. They'd always get me off the line but soon as I hit 4th I'd come up on them like they were parked there. The more modified ones I couldn't catch by the top of the hill however. Course I'm also running sand stars so not exactly the best drag tire. The new swingarm should help...

Custom Creations is 909-388-2887 and is located at

2420 E. 3rd St.

Highland, Ca. 92346