Wheel Hub Bearings

KaosBanshee44

I'm trying to remove my bearings out of my old hubs into some new ones. Thing is there are two bearings in the hub that fall into there on lip. I don't wanna go buy new bearings if i can use the old ones still cause there in good shape but the problem is getting them out of the old hub without damaging them first.

Anybody ever taking them out or know ow to take them out.....Is there a certain tool you use?

If you use the pipe method, I prefer a socket cause of their varying sizes, you probably won't want to reuse them. Chances are they will develop play in them from you beating on them, and that's no good mang.

They are a bitch, expect lotsa cussing whilst trying to get that goddamn spacer cocked just right to get the first bearing out. If ya got new hubs I'd call a bearing store and find out how much they are, probably well worth not having to fight the old ones while being careful not to fuck them up...but you still need the spacer outta there unless the new hubs came with it. National part numbers for bearings are:

Inner 6004

Outer 6202

Seals. (inner x outer x depth)

Inner 22mm x 35mm x 7mm

Outer 22mm x 35mm x 7mm

So to do both front hubs you need to buy two of everything (cut & past I had saved). Remember to get good bearings not Chinese or Hindu (Japanese or German tend to be the best). Good luck.

If you use the pipe method, I prefer a socket cause of their varying sizes, you probably won't want to reuse them. Chances are they will develop play in them from you beating on them, and that's no good mang.

Word. The socket is always a better idea than a pipe/tube. :geek:

Yeah i made alot of calls today. there are some bearing that you can save "for example" the water pump impeller for instance....But for wheel hub bearings don't take the chance unless your a cheap bastard and wanna use the old ones. I ordered new ones from www.mcmart.com today there cheap as helll.

Damn, just did like my 6th set of front hub bearings here, hahaha, bring'em to me and I'll do 'em for you for a case of beer.

Alternatively, find a small brass punch, and work your way around the first bearing from the inside, it's a little tedious, but you should have a little bit of play in the spacer, enough to just catch the lip of the bearing with the punch. The brass punch won't damage the spacer, but for $35 on e-bay you can buy all front bearings, seals, and the back 2 carrier bearings and seals as well.

You can also buy the bearing puller they talk about in the Clymer manual, but I'm not sure how much it costs or where to get it. :shrug: Good luck bro!