Uknown Problem

well, went out riding this weekend, and i was doin some draggin with the other banshee, up and down some of the hills. Now theres this big one that i spent alot fo the day on, and i gunned it when i went up, and let it coast down with the clutch opulled in. Now i had done this... 10 or so times when all of a sudden my clutch lever went dead and the clutch disengaged.. i was like.. hmm.. so i rode it back to camp without the ability to use clutch, took it home, looked at it, took it aapart.. and heres the problem... the lever that te clutch cable attachs to is rock solid, and is pushed up into my carb(was) i CANT GET IT TO MOVE OR ANYTHING... ive never had the rod and ball bearing weld thing happen before, cause i have a pancake in the dragger, is this the problem? is there any quick fix for this without splitting the cases? cause i just want to sell the damn thing. This stockers given me too much trouble. I need this problem fixed asap. Thanks for any help.

well, went out riding this weekend, and i was doin some draggin with the other banshee, up and down some of the hills. Now theres this big one that i spent alot fo the day on, and i gunned it when i went up, and let it coast down with the clutch opulled in. Now i had done this... 10 or so times when all of a sudden my clutch lever went dead and the clutch disengaged.. i was like.. hmm.. so i rode it back to camp without the ability to use clutch, took it home, looked at it, took it aapart.. and heres the problem... the lever that te clutch cable attachs to is rock solid, and is pushed up into my carb(was) i CANT GET IT TO MOVE OR ANYTHING... ive never had the rod and ball bearing weld thing happen before, cause i have a pancake in the dragger, is this the problem? is there any quick fix for this without splitting the cases? cause i just want to sell the damn thing. This stockers given me too much trouble. I need this problem fixed asap. Thanks for any help.

Welded clutch ball. Pull clutch cover and pressure plate and inspect. Should be able to repair without splitting cases.

brandon

Welded clutch ball. Pull clutch cover and pressure plate and inspect. Should be able to repair without splitting cases.

brandon

yep i see the problem. I went to the hardware store, picked up a stick magnet, and put it in to get the ball out. I took it out and i see that the ball has been welded. But The ball came right out. How do i get the clutch lever out? Its still frozen solid.

yep i see the problem. I went to the hardware store, picked up a stick magnet, and put it in to get the ball out. I took it out and i see that the ball has been welded. But The ball came right out. How do i get the clutch lever out? Its still frozen solid.

The arm is probably welded to the pushrod. You will need to figure out a way to break the bond between the rod and lever. After that, things should come apart easily. You will have to use your judgment as to how to break the bond. Careful with the drive axle for the trans though or you will get to split the cases to replace it. Do NOT use a torch for any of this or you WILL anneal you trans gears and axle and the trans will fail in 5 min or riding.

Brandon

so, wait. im confused. I see the spot on the rod in the middle that the ball welded to, do i hit it with a chistle? or do i hit the top of the clutch thing with a hammer? do i need to replace that ball? do i need a ball with a pancake bearing? should i buy one? Im coming in and out of my house to check on this cause im workin on the quads and my lifted chevy. so its a mad world. Hoping this would be an easy fix with no parts to buy.

Edited by CRAZY-SHEE!

so, wait. im confused. I see the spot on the rod in the middle that the ball welded to, do i hit it with a chistle? or do i hit the top of the clutch thing with a hammer? do i need to replace that ball? do i need a ball with a pancake bearing? should i buy one? Im coming in and out of my house to check on this cause im workin on the quads and my lifted chevy. so its a mad world. Hoping this would be an easy fix with no parts to buy.

Ok, it's not too hard. When you pull your clutch cover off and remove the springs etc. and pull the pushrod adjuster out you have a ball on the end and a rod that goes through to the other side basically. The rod that your clutch cable connects to just comes out after removing 1 bolt and the bracket. I'm not sure how bad it is you might need a couple of parts but it won't cost much...

Here is a picture DSC00064.jpg

There are some more pictures here

oh yes i know exactly wut happened. the problem is is that the lever is STUCK in there. I tried pullin on it, wigglin it, etc. It is really stuck in there. i know how everything is setup. I just need to know how i can remove this damn lever. Also can i just reuse everything? or i gotta buy new stuff like a pancake bearing? and i also wanted to know if the pancake needed that silver ball or not. So i know wut to order to fix it. if someone doesnt give me a helpful answer soon imma just hit it with a ball peen. :banghead:

ook.. i just hit the lever with a hammer.. it came free, but not completely.. it still wont come out of its hole, and also the pushrod is still stuck in there as well. I tried pulling it out with a magnet but it wont come out.. it moves about a half inch forward then stops. The lever has full movement except for the fact that it wont come up. I was gonna put it back together and just say fuck it, if it runs w/e but i dont think its pushing the push rod far enough where it will activate the clutch. Im thinking there a piece of weld stuck on each end.. no idea how i should get it off.... help?

ook.. i just hit the lever with a hammer.. it came free, but not completely.. it still wont come out of its hole, and also the pushrod is still stuck in there as well. I tried pulling it out with a magnet but it wont come out.. it moves about a half inch forward then stops. The lever has full movement except for the fact that it wont come up. I was gonna put it back together and just say fuck it, if it runs w/e but i dont think its pushing the push rod far enough where it will activate the clutch. Im thinking there a piece of weld stuck on each end.. no idea how i should get it off.... help?

Careful planning is what you need. I am sure the rod and lever have fused and probably will cause problems if used this way. When the ball welds to the rod, it starts to spin the rod and welds to the lever as well. Your best bet is to get the rod out first by either drilling and tapping the end or a small bolt extractor. If you just force the4 lever out, you may get to buy a new case half. be careful. You seem the type to roll the dice with the 2lb hammer and it may cost ya.

Brandon

yea, if you did it up good ( sounds like you did ) then the end of the rod and the clutch arm probably melted enough that the end of the rod wont pull back through the tranny shaft and the arm has a bunch of the metal from the rod welded to it so if you start reefing on it to get it out it will just gouge up the bore in the case that it slips down into. even if you do manage to get the arm out without damaging the bore it's still a touchy operation getting into the end of the rod to work it down enough so it will slide back out the trans shaft. it can be done but if you dont have the patience to take alot of time and do it right you may as well just crack the cases so you can pull the rod out the other side and get into the arm from the inside of the case...without actualy seeing it and feeling how bad it's stuck in there it's hard to say how far to press your luck with it...

good luck brotha :thumbsup: you said that you whacked the arm and got it to break loose so the rod may spin on ya while your drilling but i hope it works out for you. if it dont work and you need any info on splitting the cases im all ears. i have two engines split down at the shop right now so i can get pics of just about anything you want, getting them hosted is another story..lol

Good luck with the drilling and tapping man. This happend to me about 2 months ago. The rod had welded itself to the clutch arm and like you, I eventually broke that weld loose but it still would not come out. I eventually split the case to look things over because it would not come out. What had happened when that weld broke was, part of it was still on the end of the rod making that end of the rod too big to pull back through the transmission shaft. If that happened in your case, I don't see any chance in the world of you getting it out without completely messing up the inside of your transmission shaft. But yet again, that's just what happened to mine and that's what I had to do to fix it. I hope yours turns out better than mine did. Good luck !!