Can't get waterpump seal in!

Well, where should I start. I tore apart my water pump, which I now know I didn't have to, and now I can't put the damn thing back together. I took the old seal and bearing out for the water pump and I just wrecked the new 20 dollar seal trying to hammer it in there with a socket. Is there a trick or something? I don't even think lube would help. I haven't even got to the bearing yet, which could be worse yet. So, how the hell do you get that in there? Not very happy about a 20 dollar seal getting wrecked in 5 minutes. All comments appreciated.

I don't know why the thing is so tuff! I can see where you could use the c-clamp to put a steady pressure on it, but when the seal broke it caught on the metal on the side of the bore and started to peel away at the outside of the seal. Something just doesn't seem right. I may just take it down to the local machine shop and have them do it, since they have presses and everything. Also, should the socket be pushing around the outside of the seal?Thanks for the advice

Sorry if i'm repeating people.

don't feel bad i just had the same problem, get a piece of wood and set it on the front side of the clutch cover, get a big enough socket and use a C-Clamp to press it in......Don't ever force anything in with beating something i've learned the hard way to many times. That's why they make plenty of tools you just have to know how to use them...lol Don't take any chances with seals and barrings either.