Bought a banshee

Hi guys, Im new to the site seeing that I just bought a 98' Banshee 350 :biggrin: , I bought It and will pick it up on Friday or Saturday, It comes installed with some brand new Holeshot tires front and rear, stock rims, a cool head, toomy pipes, the plastics look mint, and it has all new bearings and ball joints done by a dealer that we know very well (got the bike for $2100). I was wondering If I should be aware of anything problems that I may have with this bike? Is the price fair enough? I am a very anal person when it comes to making everything work the way it should :geek: . Any Input would be greatly appreciated.

:thanks:

Edited by 98'banshee

Hmm, sounds like a pretty good deal. What kind of Toomey's did you get (T5's or T4's)? What size domes are in your cool head? Oh, please don't type in red.. It is very hard to read on the dark background. Have you ever had a Banshee or ridden a Banshee before?

I am sorry to inform you but, you now have Banshee-idus.

Edited by xLastShotx

Sorry about the red, I have ridden a banshee before and love the 2 stroke power, it had FMF pipes, v-force-3's and was ported(by my dad) w/ K&N filter. Mine has either T5's or T6's and not sure on the compression check yet, and may port it still but not quite sure :biggrin: . Banshee-Idus? how so? :tongue:

Hm, I think the only thing you really need to check is the compression.. Maybe the clutch as well, but once you get it as long as the clutch isn't slipping it should be fine. If you bought it from a dealer all those should be fine I would think. Banshee-Idus, is when you get a Banshee and you decide to start getting new parts or porting it.. It's like what happened to me a few weeks ago, I brought my Banshee to my engine builder to JUST do a new top end, but by the end of the day talking with him and seeing his I went from just a top end to a drag port, head milled, lightened flywheel, bigger carbs, pipes, etc. Banshees are like a bottomless pit were your money falls into and keeps falling into.

The dealer told me the engagement of the clutch is loose (he says to his liking), But based on ME loving to hit the clutch fast throught the gears I may have to tension it to my liking. Is there any issues with the 98's?

Oh BTW do you think a full skid plate is necessary? or just the a-arm plates?

Edited by 98'banshee

Hm, there shouldn't be any issues with 98's. Everything after 1991 (i think, could have been 1992) are almost completely identical. The skid plates depend on what kind of terrain you ride on If its on sand (like Glamis) then you don't really need any skid plates. If its on fire roads or fields with not many rocks or things sticking out of the ground then probably the swing arm skid plate and maybe the A-Arm skid plates. If its very rocky terrain or terrain with a lot of roots and whatnot sticking out then you would probably need the A-Arm Swing arm and full skid plates. I ride mostly sand and fire roads, I only have the stock swing arm skid plate I bang the crap out of that skid plate and I haven't had any problems (I just take it off every couple rides and hammer it back into shape). The bottom of my frame is scratched up but there are no dents on the frame and my A-Arms have no scratches or dents.

Cool, Do you like those holeshots? do you have any cooling issues? and do you have any secrets or hints on the cooling system that I need to know? Mostly I will ride on fire lanes and hit the track once in a while(rode my buddy's raptor 350 at the track for a full day) which is why I bought a quad instead of a utility.

I like my Holeshot HD's a lot, the HD's although heavier than the other Holeshots last a very long time and are one of the best gripping tires out there. So far I have found that the best way to keep the Banshee cool is to ride at a good pace. The Banshee just doesn't like going slow in hot weather, but even when I do go slow when its hot out I never get more than a little bit of steam out of the radiator hose. You definitely chose well, I am glad you didn't get a 4poke. Now all you have to do is get rid of your air box and get some clamp ons, get a T.O.R.S removal kit, and remove the radiator overflow bottle and mounting plate.lol

Hi guys, Im new to the site seeing that I just bought a 98' Banshee 350 :biggrin: , I bought It and will pick it up on Friday or Saturday, It comes installed with some brand new Holeshot tires front and rear, stock rims, a cool head, toomy pipes, the plastics look mint, and it has all new bearings and ball joints done by a dealer that we know very well (got the bike for $2100). I was wondering If I should be aware of anything problems that I may have with this bike? Is the price fair enough? I am a very anal person when it comes to making everything work the way it should :geek: . Any Input would be greatly appreciated.

:thanks:

I would do a compression test and check the trans oil and coolant for any particles and/or discoloration.

If it still has the stock filter set-up, get rid of it quicly, because it's hard to make sure it's in place, and not leaking around the foam gasket. Pro Design, and a few others make an air filter plate that bolts to the front of the airbox, and is sealed with an o-ring. You will need to know what type of air filter you are going to run, before buying the plate, because the K&N filter is different from the foam types.

I heard about the overflow bottle issue but thanks for reminding me. What is T.O.R.S.? Also it does have a K&N filter setup on it. I will not restrict myself with a four stroke. I figure my sled is 2-stroke why not my wheeler? there easier to work on, less moving parts, and are much lighter Not to mention Four Strokes are UNDERPOWERED. Thanks for the input so far.

T.O.R.S. is the Throttle Override System, they shut off the Banshee in case of the carburetor slides sticking open. Sounds like a good idea but the problem is that sometimes it shuts off the Banshee when nothing is actually wrong. Its just one more thing that could cause problems. Basically the main part of the system is the stock carb caps, you just take that off and replace it with a tors removal kit and snip a few other wires.