motor running backwards

Just got done putting in my new rs stator and flywheel, only problem is that the motor runs backwards now. I got 6 reverse gears and no forwards. Is it possible that the polarity got messed up somehow and is there a way to fix it without buying new stuff again? Any input is greatly appreciated.

I don't see how thats happening with a kick start. Not like the starter is going backwards or something. Even if its possible i guess it could be your timing is set so high its causing the spark to soon which in turn forces the motor to run backwards. IDK haha if i was more capable tonight id think harder damn women have me so worn out.

Just got done putting in my new rs stator and flywheel, only problem is that the motor runs backwards now. I got 6 reverse gears and no forwards. Is it possible that the polarity got messed up somehow and is there a way to fix it without buying new stuff again? Any input is greatly appreciated.

thats sounds odd. the kick starter only spins one direction... so how is it getting started? anyway the polarity wouldn't do that to it. it most likely wouldnt run at all if it was reversed. back to the starting, how are you starting it? the only thing i can think of is that you may be roll starting it backwards?

this is an interesting problem.

Honestly i didnt think it was possible either with the kick starter only goin one way. But seeing as though i didnt do anything with the clutch side or the transmission on it, i dont see how it can have anything to do with that. The only thing that was done to it was a new cdi box,coil,stator and flywheel. And as far as the timing, its set at 0 since i have a dyna fs cdi box.

Do not run it anymore until you figure this out. If you run the motor backwards the kickstart gear can get sucked in and spit out through the case.

I will bet your motor is starting correctly and then reversing due to time advance issues. Do me this, turn the engine over with the kick arm and see which way the flywheel turns. It is physically impossible to turn the motor over the wrong way but that motor can reverse instantly after starting. Bet that makes for a crazy ride!! "banshee --with reverse!!!"

you will need to grab a timing light to get this one worked out. Will need a 12V battery to supply the light. Regardless of plate settings, you need to check your timing on this one. Something may have been made wrong.

Brandon

OH, by the way, you can test the timing without the engine running by pulling the plugs and setting on head, and turning the crank over with a drill motor and kooking your test light to the plug leads. You really can damage the kick gear if it hangs up when reversing. Bad things.

Edited by blowit

Thanks for all the help, and yes it does make for an interesting ride when your not expecting it. Anyways, the box is set on stock cuz i just wanted to get it runnin and didnt have time to really mess with it. I can say this, we tried to pull start it the first time and it backfired real bad a few times and it would not start until we stopped and i kicked it over a few times, and then it finally started. But now im kinda at a stand still itll monday, since as you guys said, it will break the kickstart gear. I guess i got lucky and it only broke the gear on the back of the clutch basket. Atleast it gave me a good reason to buy a new hinson basket lol.

Honestly i didnt think it was possible either with the kick starter only goin one way. But seeing as though i didnt do anything with the clutch side or the transmission on it, i dont see how it can have anything to do with that. The only thing that was done to it was a new cdi box,coil,stator and flywheel. And as far as the timing, its set at 0 since i have a dyna fs cdi box.

did you call RS? if you have everything installed correctely then i would start replacing the new parts one at a time with known good stock parts. of course, that's if you have access to these parts; spare parts, parts off another bike, etc, etc. is the flywheel new? was it dropped or beat on?