stock regulator

You can run the stock stator but you will have to run a rectifier of some sort as the stock setup output is AC current and you will have to convert to DC to run a battery. Take a look >HERE<. This procedure will work with a stock stator.

As stated, you will need a regulator/rectifier to run a battery. The battery will act as a capacitor to further smooth ripple voltage. Make sure to fuse your battery right at the + terminal for safety purposes.

Brandon

You can run a split ac and dc system or convert to 100% dc. Either way you need a regulator/rectifier to do the job. I got a battery, mount, and reg/rectifier setup for a banshee. Its a nice odyssey battery too. It goes in place of where your airbox would be ( I run a 2 into 1 carb with a pod filter), I built it for my bike, but its just been sitting in my shop. It will work off a stock stator, but you may find more output is desired. If you run the split system you have to keep your stock regulator on the bike also.

Edited by Snopczynski

I am real curious if you have done this or had problems installing a reg/rect on your ride? We have never experienced a need to float ground to the reg. That sounds like a ground loop problem that was cured by doing that. Those grounds are direct link to chassis and chassis referenced to ground so in effect you are adding a neutral. Interesting. I don't see any harm in doing it but I also don;t see a need unless ground looping is a problem. I simple diode will fix all of that.

Brandon

A diode will create a .7 volt voltage drop acrossed it. Regulator rectifiers depending on manufacturers may or may not create a loss. Most importantly though is that the signal is full wave rectified to dc and regulated correctly at the proper voltage. So just running a diode and the stock regulator for dc will not regulate optimally. I have done a full dc conversion, and a split ac/dc conversion also. Right now my stator is full ac, but my grounds been floated and is grounded on my clutch cable retainer on the case till I get my battery put in. The dune review conversion was done the recommended way that trail tech and Ricky stator will tell you to convert to dc. There is publishings on trail techs site also.

Edited by Snopczynski

A diode will create a .7 volt voltage drop acrossed it. Regulator rectifiers depending on manufacturers may or may not create a loss. Most importantly though is that the signal is full wave rectified to dc and regulated correctly at the proper voltage. So just running a diode and the stock regulator for dc will not regulate optimally. I have done a full dc conversion, and a split ac/dc conversion also. Right now my stator is full ac, but my grounds been floated and is grounded on my clutch cable retainer on the case till I get my battery put in. The dune review conversion was done the recommended way that trail tech and Ricky stator will tell you to convert to dc. There is publishings on trail techs site also.

I think I was misunderstood on that last post. The diode would simply correct any ground loop issues you might have by not floating a ground. The full bridge rectifier will induce voltage increase when tested with an RMS meter because of RMS not capturing the peak voltage of the sinusoidal AC wave. Thus if you have 12.5V AC, you would end up with about 19V of DC before regulation. There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

Brandon