Clutch Cushions ? NOT THE ORINGS

They can be installed on a stock baskset, but its not a fun process. You have to drill or grind off the rivets on the basket, get the new ones in and then have the basket rivited back together. I would just get a billetbasket and go that route. On those you just take out four bolts to change the cushions, much easier and they are a better basket anyway. If you want one of those majicmike, and Jeff at FAST have them at good prices.

does it clater/rattle when you shut it off?

I dont recall it may. Most obvious at idle. The cover is off for clutch replacement is there some way to check it out to see if I need to install the cushions behind the basket. I was also told that the rattle at idle is normal characteristics of the banshee engine not sure if there is any truth to that statement or not. Does anyone have a clue what the purpose of the clutch cushions behind the basket are for no one has answered that one yet. ?????.

Edited by stovepipe

You can check the cusions by taking the clutch basket out, grabbing the bakset in one hand, the gear on the back in the other hand and try twisting it in oppoiste directions. If it moves, you need cushions.

i'm going to take a shot in the dark here since i just took my basket apart to put in a new one....

the cushions do exactly what they say....they appear to be in there to cushion the impact and vibration coming from the crank and going to the transmission. i guess maybe a completely direct drive system would not be the best for wear and tear???

i tried.

I dont recall it may. Most obvious at idle. The cover is off for clutch replacement is there some way to check it out to see if I need to install the cushions behind the basket. I was also told that the rattle at idle is normal characteristics of the banshee engine not sure if there is any truth to that statement or not. Does anyone have a clue what the purpose of the clutch cushions behind the basket are for no one has answered that one yet. ?????.

i'm going to take a shot in the dark here since i just took my basket apart to put in a new one....

the cushions do exactly what they say....they appear to be in there to cushion the impact and vibration coming from the crank and going to the transmission. i guess maybe a completely direct drive system would not be the best for wear and tear???

i tried.

I believe you are right!! It is the same deal in the automotive industry...those isololation springs on the clutch disc between the disc and the metal splined plate that attaches the the transmission input shaft absorb the shock between power stroke firings and smooth out the energy spikes created by engine operation.

Imagine a 1 cylinder 4-poke engine in operation. The power stroke firing adds a significant energy spike and increases the speed of the crank rotation. As the motor continues through the other 3 strokes of operation, it is losing rotational speed due to parasitic frictional drag + the work the engine is actually doing.

Then, WHAM!! Another explosive sledgehammer of power to add to the rotational speed...

Now repeat this process 10,000 times a minute (166 times a second) and you can see why somethings gotta give!! In fact, something will give if they don't engineer that something in...

Hence, your cushions...

Hope This Helps...

Jay From SanD.

Edited by jayzx750