NEW FATTYS VS OLD GOLD SERIES

My buddy calls me up this morning and tells me one of his buddys from work is coming over with his 04 banshee and to come over and see what my 96 had on it. I get over there and its a pretty damn good looking banshee. He had Fmf fattys and power core 2 silencers, cool head 21 cc domes and k&N pods. He said he was jetted at 330 mains 27.5 pilots.

I rode it up and down the road a few times after warming it up to see what it had. It felt good but just somehow didnt have the pull mine has.

My 96 has FmF gold series (old style fatty) with powercore 2s , and a twin air filter , stock air box with the snorkel removed. 290 mains , and 25 pilots needles on the third clip

He was about 180 maybe 190 lbs and I am 240 on a light day. So I figured he would hand me my ass. Both of us left in 2nd and got great starts, by the time we hit 3rd gear I just walked away from him. Dead even up to 3rd then from 3rd to 6th I gained 2 quads on him. This was the same result 3 times. I got a bad start once almost wheelied over and still got back in it and passed him just before the finish line.

They even sound a ton different. My old style sound a little deeper and it seemed they stayed on the pipe a good bit longer than his new style. He said he only had 1/2 a season on his rebuild and mine had about the same .

I was a little leary of getting old style pipes because I thought the newer ones made more power unless for some reason my quad is a factory freak of sorts. But if you see a set of these check em out, they rip pretty damn good. I will admit the newer ones look alot cleaner but the old ones arent for looks, they are for go!

My buddy calls me up this morning and tells me one of his buddys from work is coming over with his 04 banshee and to come over and see what my 96 had on it. I get over there and its a pretty damn good looking banshee. He had Fmf fattys and power core 2 silencers, cool head 21 cc domes and k&N pods. He said he was jetted at 330 mains 27.5 pilots.

I rode it up and down the road a few times after warming it up to see what it had. It felt good but just somehow didnt have the pull mine has.

My 96 has FmF gold series (old style fatty) with powercore 2s , and a twin air filter , stock air box with the snorkel removed. 290 mains , and 25 pilots needles on the third clip

He was about 180 maybe 190 lbs and I am 240 on a light day. So I figured he would hand me my ass. Both of us left in 2nd and got great starts, by the time we hit 3rd gear I just walked away from him. Dead even up to 3rd then from 3rd to 6th I gained 2 quads on him. This was the same result 3 times. I got a bad start once almost wheelied over and still got back in it and passed him just before the finish line.

They even sound a ton different. My old style sound a little deeper and it seemed they stayed on the pipe a good bit longer than his new style. He said he only had 1/2 a season on his rebuild and mine had about the same .

I was a little leary of getting old style pipes because I thought the newer ones made more power unless for some reason my quad is a factory freak of sorts. But if you see a set of these check em out, they rip pretty damn good. I will admit the newer ones look alot cleaner but the old ones arent for looks, they are for go!

The results you got between the two bikes could very well be a jetting problem, with the other one. I'm not saying that's it, but I used to have a set of Fatty's, and they ran great. Improper carb tuning will kill the performance.

Theres no jetting problem, I used to run Gold Series pipes on my old banshee. They are by far my favorite twin pipe setup for a Banshee. They worked awesome on my dune play/ race bike. I have ridden a lot of bikes with different pipes, the only other pipe I like as much as gold series pipes is my current dyno port 2 into 1 pipe. Do yourself a favor and dont ever get rid of the gold series pipes.

Theres no jetting problem, I used to run Gold Series pipes on my old banshee. They are by far my favorite twin pipe setup for a Banshee. They worked awesome on my dune play/ race bike. I have ridden a lot of bikes with different pipes, the only other pipe I like as much as gold series pipes is my current dyno port 2 into 1 pipe. Do yourself a favor and dont ever get rid of the gold series pipes.

Was the other bike yours? If not, you don't know whether or not, there was a problem with the jetting. Personally, I liked the newer Fatty's better than the older series Gold pipes, but to each his own. My point in this whole post was this, there are too many other factors in a drag race, to say this pipe is better than another. Rider experience, state of tune, and several other things have a big impact on the outcome, and it just doesn't mean one pipe is better than the other. Most of it simply boils down to personal preference.

He said he rode both of them, so if the jetting was off he should have been able to tell. I have ridden bikes with both pipes, and its true that the gold series has about the same bottom end and midrange as a fatty, then pulls harder toward the top.

He said he rode both of them, so if the jetting was off he should have been able to tell. I have ridden bikes with both pipes, and its true that the gold series has about the same bottom end and midrange as a fatty, then pulls harder toward the top.

I re-read my posts, and I didn't say way off, I just said the jetting could have been off. One or two sizes, will make a fairly big difference.

interesting, on a ported bike my friend and I felt the other way.

i run the old series. they are ancient but they scream. even have the old style silencers with the old school sticker on them with the blue in it.

Also I rode a bike with that 2 into 1 dyno port and it was very disappointing.

Could have been jetting. It just didnt have the same feeling when riding it. I am very impressed with the pipes. And I know there are alot of variables to drag racing. I was just stating my result on that day. Its possible another banshee similar to mine would eat me up with the new style fattys on a different day but hey.

I have since raced a stock 06 450r , 07 raptor 700 se, and a piped cammed yfz450

Beat the honda by a length, Raptor beat me by a half quad, and yfz beat me by a length and a half

Im advancing my timing +4 and getting a woods port done. Should be as fast as it needs to be for a while. (I hope)

Could have been jetting. It just didnt have the same feeling when riding it. I am very impressed with the pipes. And I know there are alot of variables to drag racing. I was just stating my result on that day. Its possible another banshee similar to mine would eat me up with the new style fattys on a different day but hey.

I have since raced a stock 06 450r , 07 raptor 700 se, and a piped cammed yfz450

Beat the honda by a length, Raptor beat me by a half quad, and yfz beat me by a length and a half

Im advancing my timing +4 and getting a woods port done. Should be as fast as it needs to be for a while. (I hope)

Put it this way, my friend and I both had Jim's 12-port, I had a little more compression with my head, but he had 1mm larger carbs and a +4 swingarm.

Only other difference was pipes and different aftermarket reeds and I would win @ the hill but it was close. Then he changed to sheares and it was all over for me untill I got my CPI's now again it's close.