YFZ450 A-arms: Banshee spindles vs. YFZ450 spindles

BenBB

Let me get something straight... I am getting 450 a-arms, and want YFZ spindles. I can put my hub/ rotor on, but what about my banshee calipers. Will it bolt up on the YFZ spindle or not? What im asking is if I just get the YFZ spindles, is that all I need?

Let me get something straight... I am getting 450 a-arms, and want YFZ spindles. I can put my hub/ rotor on, but what about my banshee calipers. Will it bolt up on the YFZ spindle or not? What im asking is if I just get the YFZ spindles, is that all I need?

Yes Banshee single piston calipers and YFZ450 two piston calipers share the same exact bolt pattern, and the same exact hub/rotor. Use whichever you want, BUT be advised that the mounting bolts correlate to the spindle: Banshee caliper mounting bolts are shorter for the Banshee steel spindles, YFZ450 caliper mounting bolts are longer for the YFZ450 aluminum spindles (the mounting boss is thicker on the 450, thinner on the Banshee). So if you use the longer YFZ450 bolts on a Banshee spindle the ends of the bolts may drag the rotor, if you use shorter Banshee bolts on a YFZ450 spindle there's not gonna be as much thread (which isn't a lot to begin with) into the brake backing plate.

so if i get the 450 arms and calipers. do i need the spindles to make it work? i have wide offset rims.

Not necessarily, that's what I was showing with the pics; either one will work but YFZ450 spindles will allow the suspension to extend roughly 3" farther than when using Banshee spindles. Lotsa guys have done as Mullet Man has with Banshee spindles with no probs, so far I don't know of anyone using YFZ450 spindles yet but that's the way I'm going (c'mon Works, hurry up with my shocks heh).

Offset rims are not directly an issue as far as arms and spindles are concerned, although I haven't tried any less backspacing than stock, which doesn't hit the arms or anything at full lock. Wheel offset is kind of give and take, and to a large extent preference. Wide offsets get you stability with a wider track, but in turn you sacrifice some handling characteristics; like you'll notice the bars get jerked harder and/or more often when you hit rough spots (because the wheel sits further out relative to the spindle pivot points, it increases the leverage of the impact), and you'll likely be putting more stress on the spindles (it took me a long time to break a stock one). Narrow offsets are more or less the opposite...

Well my bid on eBay got blasted, but luckily I've got another set locked on YFZCentral and another pending. God I can't wait to get the spindles in the mail! I just don't know if they'll get here in time for my first test ride in a week and a half. :confused: Well, can't wait to test out the arms/shocks even if the spindles don't quite make it. I've got another weekend mid-May at the worst. Come on UPS!!

Great info Ben, I often wondered if the 450 spindles would work, I also wonder how or if Raptor spindles would work, they are also aluminum. :shrug:

Raptor 700 spindles are the same yes. I believe they may be entirely identical suspension as well, but don't quote me. However, the Raptor 660 spindles ARE NOT the same.

FUCK the hubs are NOT the same. The YFZ450 hub is narrower; same bearings (number/size identical), same seals (number/size identical), same outer seal spacer (looks like the same exact width), but the casting itself isn't as wide (the outboard snout is shorter), the spacer between the bearings appears to be shorter, and both the inner and outer bearings sit closer together in the hub. Godfuckingdammit. The brake rotors look exactly the same, but the YFZ450 also uses a seal spacer on the inboard bearing that the Banshee doesn't and a thrust washer at the inside of the spindle shaft. On a side note Yamaha is using unsealed bearings instead of sealed bearings too (WTF?). It would be way more work than it's worth to have a machine shop bore the hubs to allow the two bearings to sit closer to one another AND to buy a new spacer tube...so be advised if you use YFZ450 spindles you gotta use YFZ450 hubs as well to get the correct distance for the brake caliper to line up on the rotor and for the hub to sit far enough on the shaft to get the spindle nut on. On the upside I do know for certain the front wheel bolt pattern is the same. Sorry for the previous misinformation :confused:

FUCK the hubs are NOT the same. The YFZ450 hub is narrower; same bearings (number/size identical), same seals (number/size identical), same outer seal spacer (looks like the same exact width), but the casting itself isn't as wide (the outboard snout is shorter), the spacer between the bearings appears to be shorter, and both the inner and outer bearings sit closer together in the hub. Godfuckingdammit. The brake rotors look exactly the same, but the YFZ450 also uses a seal spacer on the inboard bearing that the Banshee doesn't and a thrust washer at the inside of the spindle shaft. On a side note Yamaha is using unsealed bearings instead of sealed bearings too (WTF?). It would be way more work than it's worth to have a machine shop bore the hubs to allow the two bearings to sit closer to one another AND to buy a new spacer tube...so be advised if you use YFZ450 spindles you gotta use YFZ450 hubs as well to get the correct distance for the brake caliper to line up on the rotor and for the hub to sit far enough on the shaft to get the spindle nut on. On the upside I do know for certain the front wheel bolt pattern is the same. Sorry for the previous misinformation :confused:

Shit! It's never that easy is it? Luckily I jumped out as soon as I read this and put the word out for some hubs to go with my spindles that are on the way. Hopefully they'll ship tomorrow! So do you have hubs for your bike Ben? I'm posting this without going back to your pictures. But if memory serves me right, you did have the YFZ450 hubs already.

Shit! It's never that easy is it? Luckily I jumped out as soon as I read this and put the word out for some hubs to go with my spindles that are on the way. Hopefully they'll ship tomorrow! So do you have hubs for your bike Ben? I'm posting this without going back to your pictures. But if memory serves me right, you did have the YFZ450 hubs already.

Yes luckily I have one set, in the pictures my red/white Banshee has YFZ450 spindles and hubs, the blue Banshee has Banshee spindles and hubs...I got a pair of spindles for the blue one and found out the hard way that Banshee hubs no workie :banghead: I'm hoping I can sell the Banshee hub/spindle setup to someone looking to upgrade their Blaster to Banshee brakes, and locate a pair of hubs from someone parting out a YFZ (god forbid egay)...

• 3 weeks later...

i just got finshed doing the 450 a arms questions. I first noticed that the tie rods seem to be pushed to the max. Now if i buy 450 spindles i also need hubs? WIth Mulletmans thread do the a arms work fine and he did.? THe only thing Im worried about is the tie rods backing up.

i just got finshed doing the 450 a arms questions. I first noticed that the tie rods seem to be pushed to the max. Now if i buy 450 spindles i also need hubs? WIth Mulletmans thread do the a arms work fine and he did.? THe only thing Im worried about is the tie rods backing up.

Yes the stock YFZ450 tie rods are gonna be at the very limit of their length, on my son's '01 I did like Mullet and got a pair from Noss Machine in billet aluminum, 13-3/8" long. He knows the right length just tell him it's a YFZ450 a-arm swap, and damn they look goood. About $46 shipped for them from Noss. I didn't have to change mine on my '96 because I already had Honda style tie rods & ends for +2 a-arms (from trailtracksand.com, same as the Tusk ones RMA sells). The stock tie rods and ends are already a bit of a weak link so if you ride hard at all I wouldn't trust the stock setup at the limit of it's adjustment...

And YES if you get YFZ450 spindles you pretty much hafta get hubs too; the width & spacers are different and without machine work and new bearing spacers your stock Banshee hubs aren't gonna work right on the YFZ spindles.