Chrome OEM Banshee A-Arms

FireHead

i am an injection molder and nylon has a pretty high melting point 220 would not melt it maybe 300 to 400 would distort it but certain chemicals do degrade plastics i do know that.i dont mold with nylon but i do know it melts at about 400 to 500 some even higher,thats at a liquid state .i do mold polycarbonate and abs and hdpe and they vary from 420 to 580 degrees .abs is what our fenders are made of and they mold at mid 400 degree varying on density and grade of plastic.just a little useless info about that. also i think there is some sort of a acid bath in the chroming process and i dont c any plastic surviving that

Edited by tngrob420

i am an injection molder and nylon has a pretty high melting point 220 would not melt it maybe 300 to 400 would distort it but certain chemicals do degrade plastics i do know that.i dont mold with nylon but i do know it melts at about 400 to 500 some even higher,thats at a liquid state .i do mold polycarbonate and abs and hdpe and they vary from 420 to 580 degrees .abs is what our fenders are made of and they mold at mid 400 degree varying on density and grade of plastic.just a little useless info about that. also i think there is some sort of a acid bath in the chroming process and i dont c any plastic surviving that

That's good information. I was mostly just making up numbers off the top of my head. :geek:

i have seen plastic chrome plated before , i dont know how they do it but know it is possible . here in new york there are alot of street bikes that are chromed out , i have even seen a gsxr 1000 with its plastic body panels chrome plated and my friend has a honda 954 with a lot of plastic chromed , and it is definitely chrome plated .

i have also seen replacement ball joints for stock arms , i know that they are pressed in so maybe they can be changed . if you search banshee ball joints on ebay you will see someone selling them.

i have seen plastic chrome plated before , i dont know how they do it but know it is possible . here in new york there are alot of street bikes that are chromed out , i have even seen a gsxr 1000 with its plastic body panels chrome plated and my friend has a honda 954 with a lot of plastic chromed , and it is definitely chrome plated .

i have also seen replacement ball joints for stock arms , i know that they are pressed in so maybe they can be changed . if you search banshee ball joints on ebay you will see someone selling them.

If you aske the eBay guy you may discover that they are for Roll a-arms even though he doesn't really advertise that. :down:

Hell at one point I think laker customs was offering clear and chromed plastics. I WOULD IMAGINE, because I dont know for sure, that the trick to that is too start out with a perfectly clean piece and not have to use the acid cleaning bath.

Hell at one point I think laker customs was offering clear and chromed plastics. I WOULD IMAGINE, because I dont know for sure, that the trick to that is too start out with a perfectly clean piece and not have to use the acid cleaning bath.

Fullbore has also offered chrome plastics in the past. From what I understand, chroming plastic is no where near the same process as chroming ferrous or nonferrous metal. :confused:

Fullbore has also offered chrome plastics in the past. From what I understand, chroming plastic is no where near the same process as chroming ferrous or nonferrous metal. :confused:

i have know idea how they do it , but it looks good , when i first saw it i couldnt even tell it was plastic , i thought it was metal till you tap on it and you can tell it is plastic, i wonder how they get it to not chip because the plastic will flex and you would think it would come right off, but it doesnt .

im not sure what exactly they used it was like 3 or 4 steps to chroming plastic it was all chemical i dont even think they used heat this was for auto mirrors im sure their are many dif. ways

im not sure what exactly they used it was like 3 or 4 steps to chroming plastic it was all chemical i dont even think they used heat this was for auto mirrors im sure their are many dif. ways

I suspect that the process used on mirrors is very similair to the chroming process of other plastics.

I know a guy down here in southern oregon who has racecut fullbores and they are chromed. He had them done by fullbore and it was around 2500 bucks complete. Lots of money, but it does look bitchin. Show bike and plays with it too. I have a pic of it somewhere, have to do some looking around.

Edited by sand4ever

I know a guy down here in southern oregon who has racecut fullbores and they are chromed. He had them done by fullbore and it was around 2500 bucks complete. Lots of money, but it does look bitchin. Show bike and plays with it too. I have a pic of it somewhere, have to do some looking around.

Fullbore will do a chrome set of plastics for a couple hundred bucks more than a normal set. The plastic isn't really chromed, but it looks like it. :confused: