Chrome OEM Banshee A-Arms

FireHead

id think if you could tape up the boots and the stud so that there all covered and nothing could leak in i dont see why not. Im no expert by any means nor do i really have an idea what im talking about but from what i remember theres not a great deal of heat involved. I think maybe one hot bath is it?? Im sure someone out there knows the exact process.

id think if you could tape up the boots and the stud so that there all covered and nothing could leak in i dont see why not. Im no expert by any means nor do i really have an idea what im talking about but from what i remember theres not a great deal of heat involved. I think maybe one hot bath is it?? Im sure someone out there knows the exact process.

There are atleast two chemical baths involved in even the crudest chroming process. Either of those two baths would noticeably ruin the ball joints.

If the joints are not ruined, then I am missing something..................... :ermm:

im sure thee stripping them down and having them chromed then replaceing the parts.where are you seeing them for sale at ive been looking for a set of chrome stockers but havent seen any

Por ejemplo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-BANS...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-BANS...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/yamaha-bans...1QQcmdZViewItem

I know this is hard to believe and completely against anything ever put on this site but I have had 2 friends PC their STOCK a-arms and they have come out in fine working condition. All they did was tape off around the balljoint and remove as much of the grease as possible. Both have been ridden on and are still tight...sooooooooo, for all those that say it can't be done. I dunno what's up with 'em tho, all I've ever heard is that it is not possible.

if they where put in an oven then i dont know how they got pc and still fine but some people use heat lamps or some kinda infared thing.. chromeing i can see if they taped of the ball joint really good. then again im not 100% sure of what chomeing consist of

I know this is hard to believe and completely against anything ever put on this site but I have had 2 friends PC their STOCK a-arms and they have come out in fine working condition. All they did was tape off around the balljoint and remove as much of the grease as possible. Both have been ridden on and are still tight...sooooooooo, for all those that say it can't be done. I dunno what's up with 'em tho, all I've ever heard is that it is not possible.

It all depends on the type of powder coating used and what method and/or temperature it is cured (not really the proper term) at. If the powder is cured in an oven at less than 250 degrees F or an IR cured coating is used then the joints should be fine.

Chroming a is a different animal. A basic chrome job usually consists of three chemical baths. Two of them would essentially destroy the internals of a ball joint either by plating material to the ball or by dissolving or sealing the race (socket). The third bath (actually the first in the process) will remove and strup any lubricant from the joint. There are quite a few chroming processes out there. What I mentioned is the most simple and probably the most common in the lower end of the motorsport industry.

So, back to my original question, are the guy chroming their arms and living with messed up ball joints or are they possible removing the joints and replacing the joints (they would have to be tack or stitch welded in)? I can't really tell in any of the pictures I have seen so far. I am not really interested in purchasing such a thing, but the questions was bothering me this afternoon. :geek:

It all depends on the type of powder coating used and what method and/or temperature it is cured (not really the proper term) at. If the powder is cured in an oven at less than 250 degrees F or an IR cured coating is used then the joints should be fine.

That's what I was thinking. Depending on the material that this plastic piece inside the balljoint is made of you could heat them up up to somewhere around the melting point of the plastic and be good.

What would be the effects of "melting" this piece?

That's what I was thinking. Depending on the material that this plastic piece inside the balljoint is made of you could heat them up up to somewhere around the melting point of the plastic and be good.

What would be the effects of "melting" this piece?

I have never cut a Banshee ball joint apart. With that said, common ball joint socket material is either a nylon (or some alloy of nylon) or a bronze oillite type material. The nylon material can be fairly easily dissolved with certain chemicals and I believe will degrade severely above 220 degree F, but all that is a generality. The bronze material will lose it's lubricant if introduced to heat (at whatever temperature the grease degrades (call it 300 degrees F) or solvent). The other thing that will happen to the bronze is it will accept the plating, which will close off it's pores and inhibit it from holding any lubricant in the future. :geek:

I had my stock a arms chromed. All I did was pack as much grease as possible back in and added new boots. So far they are tight and have had no problems. As a matter of fact, I also had my wifes blaster a arms chromed. Did the same thing with them and they are tight also. A few of my friends have done this also and they have rode there bikes for years without fail. Just my 2 cents.

I had my stock a arms chromed. All I did was pack as much grease as possible back in and added new boots. So far they are tight and have had no problems. As a matter of fact, I also had my wifes blaster a arms chromed. Did the same thing with them and they are tight also. A few of my friends have done this also and they have rode there bikes for years without fail. Just my 2 cents.

If you happen to be in a position where you would be willing to cut one of the ball joints on the chromed arms open, give me a shout. Do you know what chroming process was used?

I had the arms done by el monte plating in CA. They are suppose to be triple plated. At least that is what I paid for. No I am not going to cut them, but maybe you could get a cheap arm and send it to them and then cut it out for a project. If I happen to mess one up someday ( crossing my fingers ) i will then cut one apart.Robert

If I happen to mess one up someday ( crossing my fingers ) i will then cut one apart.Robert

That is what I was getting at. I certainly would never ask anyone to hack up a perfectly good arm.

FYI: all triple plating involves is two more trips through the chromium bath. People charge a hell of alot more for that then it's worth. From what I have seen, for small batch stuff, guys are aske ing double the the single plating pricing for triple plating. It takes alomost zero extra effort to do the triple plating, just some extram time in the bath. Consumable costs are negligible between the two processes. :thumbsup: