Aluminum Drag Axle Comparison

FireHead

:huh: i didnt see anything on rpm's website, but i know they sold em in the past. heres the website. RPM

two words. carbon fiber :ninja:

A monoque composit axle would be neat, but it would be alot of work. All the bearing and joint areas would need to be made out of anodized aluminum and bonded to the composite axle. To the axle right, I would need to make a good mandrel and have access to an autoclave. I suppose if I found a commercially made composite tube of the right wall thickness and diameter then it wouldn't be so much work.

I don't think the neato factor is enough of a motivation for me to get a project like that going.

Last fall bought a jj&a hillshooter 28.5" it weights 9.5 pounds complete. What came off the bike was a axcalibar axle which weight 18.5 Ibs with all lonestar billet hubs. sprocket hub, wheel hubs, & brake hub. I saved 9 pounds. Hope this helps

Last fall bought a jj&a hillshooter 28.5" it weights 9.5 pounds complete. What came off the bike was a axcalibar axle which weight 18.5 Ibs with all lonestar billet hubs. sprocket hub, wheel hubs, & brake hub. I saved 9 pounds. Hope this helps

Thats 9 pounds..... of rotating mass. very cool.

you must be talking about kevin gigot he is a very smart guy but must of his stuff is not for sale to the general public. One of my buddys has a EFI fuel injection system on his DM 18 from him.

Oh no, anything he makes is for sale... it just depends on how bad you want it :) Kevin is an EFI guru.. he loves that shit. I need to get back to Garden and see him.. finish up some work on a little 250 we had planned a couple years back but never got to. We keep saying.. this summer, but it always get put on the back burner.

• 2 weeks later...
i just watched a titanium axle sell on ebay. it was for a 250r tho

Grade 1 Titanium has become a listed material within the last couple years. That is the proper material to make a Titanium axle out of. In other words, unles you are a defense contractor or are a huge multi-national company, you're not getting anf Grade 1 Titanium. I would be willing to bet that anyone selling a new Ti part for the recreational motorsport industry and claiming it is Grade 1 Ti, is kying and it's some other Southeast Asian grade of Titanium (definitely not uniform in composition). :geek:

• 4 weeks later...
Thats 9 pounds..... of rotating mass. very cool.

I think the 9 pounds loss is great but the rotating mass principle is minimized by of the relatively small shaft diameter. The greater the distance from center of rotation, the greater the force of rotational mass.

Honda loves it's "Mass Centralization" concept in street bikes....

I have these Carbon Fiber motorcycle wheels (Dymags) and when you look at the design, most of the structrual material is closest to the axle, and the closer the spokes get to the actual rim the thinner the spokes become.

BUT...rotating mass is rotating mass...and the less, the better!!

I think the 9 pounds loss is great but the rotating mass principle is minimized by of the relatively small shaft diameter. The greater the distance from center of rotation, the greater the force of rotational mass.

Honda loves it's "Mass Centralization" concept in street bikes....

I have these Carbon Fiber motorcycle wheels (Dymags) and when you look at the design, most of the structrual material is closest to the axle, and the closer the spokes get to the actual rim the thinner the spokes become.

BUT...rotating mass is rotating mass...and the less, the better!!

The aluminum axle offers very little in the way of reduced rotational inertia, but it certainly get some static weight out of the bike. :thumbsup: