engine sounds funny

Bandit

has anyone ever heard of that before? It starts up and runs, but it just sounds like a tinging sound

Um, that motor is toast! I am an engine builder and it sounds like a failed rod bearing and your piston is "tapping out" or hitting the head. This noise is also heard when the skirts break off a piston and bounce around in the crankcase. Either way, roll out the check book.

Brandon

Um, that motor is toast! I am an engine builder and it sounds like a failed rod bearing and your piston is "tapping out" or hitting the head. This noise is also heard when the skirts break off a piston and bounce around in the crankcase. Either way, roll out the check book.

Brandon

It sounds like a rod/crank bearing or a broken piston. :confused:

i had this same sound in my banshee after it got stolen and i got it back the next day. ran all summer without a problem but was getting more harder to start by the end of the season. when i tore it down i found that one of my pistons was loose in the bore and i could move it back and forth alittle and it would make the bb sound i was hearing.

i guess we will find out if it holds together on saturday, He has a race. I just wonder if it overheated?

Listen, I would NOT ride it until I knew what was going on. It IS going to pop if it is "knocking" for attention. If you engine is calling for 110 race fuel and you put pump fuel in it, that could be fuel knock and it is not to be ignored. Knocking can put holes in pistons, kill rod bearings and more. I can't honestly remember if that bike is air cooled but if so, overheat is doubtful however, 380 is HOT!! I would check that temp meter. You need to do a compression test and if you don;t have 130+ in that motor, you don't have a motor.

Sounds like your rings may have welded to the piston and you have piston slap. This is common in overheating. Either way, I would not race it.

JMO

Brandon

Mull Engineering

the head or piston dont have any marks of them hitting each other.I dont know if its the casting imperfections with carbon in the cracks to make it visable, or if it the aluminum flaking. But you can feel it. It feel rough when running finger across it.