help with clutch issues

banshee11

my banshee has been sitiing in garage for about 6 months i took it out about a week ago and rode it really easy for about 1 hour then the clutch started to not disengage. i took it home put it away. i went out today to check it out and when i put it in gear the clutch stays engaged when i let go of the lever. the cable gets pulled back. everything on the outside does what it is sopposed to do the cable gets pulled back but the quad does not move. i am going to open her up tomarow just wonder if anyone has had this problem before.

p.s. if i rev it way up the quad very slowly moves.

Edited by banshee11

my banshee has been sitiing in garage for about 6 months i took it out about a week ago and rode it really easy for about 1 hour then the clutch started to not disengage. i took it home put it away. i went out today to check it out and when i put it in gear the clutch stays engaged when i let go of the lever. the cable gets pulled back. everything on the outside does what it is sopposed to do the cable gets pulled back but the quad does not move. i am going to open her up tomarow just wonder if anyone has had this problem before.

p.s. if i rev it way up the quad very slowly moves.

You're probably going to need to pull the clutch cover off and see whats going on in there. It sounds like a messed up clutch ball to me. :thumbsup:

i agree with firehead, but on top of that since its been sitting so long try changing out the oil. Just an idea if nothing was wrong with it before it sat for a long period of time.

i took it apart tonight it has a lot of water in the fluid (it was a gray color) so i am going to check the water pump seal and change the fluid the clutch itself seems ok.

ok i pulled the clutch out today it does look like i need to replace it. but i don't understand why it stayed engaged and did not slip.i thought when a clutch went it just slipped every other machine i have had has done that when it needed a clutch.

I still say that you might have something wrong in the pushrod area. Have you pulled everything off of the clutch coutershaft including the basket? :whistling:

i just pulled the plates so far i will check everything else before i order parts what do you think i should look for for potential problems on the rest of it.

I think the rod maybe welded to either the ball or the actuation arm. The balls purpose is act as a bearing between the rotating pressure plate and the stationary clutch rod. It obviously has a major point load on it when the clutch is pulled in, and if a number of things go wrong it welds itself to the push rod and locks you clutch in one position or another. Once it has done this it can be ridiculously hard to get out without pulling your entire motor apart. :thumbsup:

I suppose you could also be getting similair symptoms as to what you are getting if your clutch backet was very badly grooved, but I think you would've noticed that this far into the investigation. :thumbsup:

if he dosnt know what to look for he may not have noticed it and i dont know why i didnt think of that because the same thing happened to mine.look at the basket notches and if it looks like the plates have worn into the notches this very well could be your problem