homebuilt a-arms

ImTired

with the price of aftermarket front ends, and the shallow pocket i have regarding that sort of thing (id much rather some jugs over a couple arms know what im sayin' :yelrotflmao: ) i was wondering who here has built there own extended, drop style a-arms. sure, the shocks will be weak for a while untill i get 450 ones but i can live with that i dont do much jumping. anyone have any good plans they can scan for me that include basic jig building? i want them extended 2" and i believe theres a way i can lower the front end in the bottom arms without sacrificing travel too am i right?

I built my own A- arms with uniballs on the bottom and heims on top. the hardest part will be getting some 1" chromolly tube with a .120 wall and having it machiened to fit the bearings or rubber grommits. that material is only used on the frame mounts upper amd lower so maybe 5-6 feet should cover it. my jig table is just basic I made a tab mount for the stock arms, then marked the center of the stock ball joints then just go from ther +2 +1 or whatever you want and weld a stud onto the jig. I can Email some pics if you want?.

I am working on mine as we speak. The lower a-arm design is complete, and I started machining parts last friday. I only get about 1hour/week to use the mill so its slow going. Its actually going to be a new arm/spindle combo, should be trick.

The hard part is going to be to design my aluminum upper without going billet ($$$).

download AutoCAD 2007 from the autodesk website for free and ill send you my drawings.

funny thing, you mentioned the machienining and forgot I had some hi miss alignment spacers made for the uniball and upper heim. I also machiened a set of cone washers myself to go into the stock spindle, real slick and supports a 3/8" bolt upper and lower. have a cad drawing for that but it's in autocad 2000. my pc won't support 2007 it's old.

I guess all in all it isn't going to be easy unless you have a lathe handy or know someone who does.

scrape those pockets unless you have access to equipment and lots of spare time. I built a set but the parts and steel still cost me half of what I could buy a set for. It was the only way I could get exactly what I wanted and the time was worth the satisfaction. If you pattern a stock set make adjustments to the caster and camber.

post-13417-1169885702_thumb.jpg

Lepew I like the clean look. I figure I have about 300$ into my arms and thats Needle bearings,heims,uni-balls, steel and tie rods. plus the custom made parts I made myself or had made for free. I figure the set I made is about the same as the roll design arms, so guessing I saved about 1k. I'd love to go into production but the liability is what is holding me back. I will get some pics today and try to get them sent or loaded.

I'm interested in this whole deal, what if a guy was to put together a weld up kit? I would be interested in purchasing it. Just an idea guys. Do you think that would eliminate the liability ? They do that with car stuff like sub frame connectors, roll bars and even back halfing a car when you tub it. :shrug: