Runs perfect on flats, Bogs up hills

jasonsb

My banshee runs superb on flat level terrain from take-off to full throttle. When dragging in the sand, I pull up the front end and shift quick if I take off in 1st gear or have to ride the hell out of the clutch to take off in 2nd gear. If anyone knows about drag cars, its sort of like a car needing a stall converter in order to rev properly with a big cam. When climbing trail hills I have to keep it in low gear. Most of the time I have to keep the bike reving in 2nd or 3rd gear to keep the bike from bogging.

It's hard to trace the problem since I had all my mods done at once a while back. (porting , adjustable timing set at +4, 19cc domes, T5 pipes, dual K&N, reeds, Long rod crank)

These are some things I've tried or the settings I currently have: (330 mains, stock & up 1 size pilots, needle in middle & 2nd from top, 13 tooth sprocket, stock rear sprocket, half race/pump gas)

ONLY MOD I HAVENT TRIED IS PUTTING TIMING BACK TO CENTER.

Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by jasonsb

Check the WHOLE fuel system. If it runs that good on flat ground (I'm assuming you've done a plug chop) it can't be jetting.

I'd check for dirt in the gas tank/fuel valve screen, but more than likely it's cause by a sunken float, improperly set float level or a faulty needle and seat.

It should run just as good going up a hill as on flat ground...

I definitely do not have drag porting. Wicked Motorsports did the porting and they called it a "duner port". I've seen my cylinders bare and pictures of other drag cyclinder porting. Without welding or changing cylinders, Wicked Motorsports rated mine a Stage 2 on a Stage scale of 1-3.

At first I even started with 34 pj carbs and could never get the jetting correct. The stock carbs with 330-340 jetting make the bike run great.

By the way, whats wrong with T5 pipes? Should I be running different with my set up?

I was also thinking about the floats but I have never messed with them.

Can a bike react this way if the clutch is going out?

PJs are a little harder to tune, but should've worked just fine with your setup...

Toomey's are great pipes.

My point was if you ran them with drag porting, though...you'd be missing out on some power...that's all.

A clutch would react the exact opposite. Going up a hill creates more load, if it was slipping...it would slip more going up a hill...so, it would actually rev quicker...not bog and slower....unless you're grabbing way too much gear way too early...

It still could actually be jetting, it's hard to say. I'd be willing to bet that even on flat ground you can't pull 6th gear. If that's the case, then jetting could very well be your problem. Up the hill, it's definitely gonna put more load ont he motor, and if your jetting is off, it seems to narrow the RPM range that your motor will run good at, so shifting to a higher gear may put you just under the RPM that you need to be running for your motor to pull out of. To me the 330 main jet seems small for a ported motor with T5's. And the needle definitely seems very lean. If anything, I'd try moving the clip on the needle down a notch or 2 to give it more fuel through your half to 3/4 throttle points. I've heard of guys running close to a 400main jet with a dune port with T5's at sea level.

It could very well be your float levels too, like previously mentioned.

The fact that you have to take off in 1st gear with 13/41 gearing with a dune ported motor and T5's makes me suspicious as well. Your bike should pull 2nd gear with that gearing no problem unless you are running some 22" or taller paddles. This also would lead me to believe that you could be lean on your jetting.

Good luck :beer:

Ok since you don't have drag porting,I have one more question for you.Are you running V-Force reeds in it?I will agree with odaen on your jetting being lean and if you have V-forces in it also I will garantee you are way to lean.Honestly I would put 410 mains in it and try it.I built one that I had to run 410's in it at 4500 feet elevation.Granted it was a +4 stroke with 28mm carbs but the elevation is the key word here.

I'm not running v-force. I have the stock cages with boyeson pro reeds. Is there a way to tell when your reeds need replacement?

I will definitely try some jetting changes.

Now that some of you mention 6th gear.... My bike screams in 2nd gear and pulls the front up through 3rd and 4th. But it kinda loses that dangerous torque in 5th and 6th.

Yes I do run 22 inch 8 paddles in the sand. I have to keep it in 2nd gear duning up small hills.