which pistons to go with

chappy

Well guys I got my first banshee the other day.Its an 03 completely stock.I absolutely love it.I don't think I'm ever gonna ride my honda 400ex again after this thing.I don't know much about 2 strokes so I;m trying to learn.I decided on klotz techniplate for oil from reading posts on here but I can't decided on pistons.I know to go with forged for durability but which ones,Wiseco or Vitto's.I am gonna keep them stock bore probably.I like the idea of Vitto's coming with all the gaskets and stuff.Another question is am I going to notice a difference in power with new ones over stock ones and will I have to rejet after the piston change.It will be my only mod for now.

Well guys I got my first banshee the other day.Its an 03 completely stock.I absolutely love it.I don't think I'm ever gonna ride my honda 400ex again after this thing.I don't know much about 2 strokes so I;m trying to learn.I decided on klotz techniplate for oil from reading posts on here but I can't decided on pistons.I know to go with forged for durability but which ones,Wiseco or Vitto's.I am gonna keep them stock bore probably.I like the idea of Vitto's coming with all the gaskets and stuff.Another question is am I going to notice a difference in power with new ones over stock ones and will I have to rejet after the piston change.It will be my only mod for now.

well i dont thing you are going to see a diferince. but if you have it bored to like 0.20 or0.30 and get some wiseco's to what you haye it bored to you gat more compresion/more power :thumbsup:

vitos and weiscos are the same pistons... the differance is vito has the ports cut to his spec so they are "vitos" super stocks or what ever type you get... you wont see much of a differance in performance but you will have a much more reliable motor. no reason to bore your motor out just to get minimal gains at the cost of motor life... keep the bore you have a hone it if you can, if not bore it one size... doesnt make scence to bore it well over whats needed for close to no gains

well i dont thing you are going to see a diferince. but if you have it bored to like 0.20 or0.30 and get some wiseco's to what you haye it bored to you gat more compresion/more power :thumbsup:

Chevrolet, how come you dropped your coolant system post? Anyway, you won't really see any HP improvement to speak of by simply increasing the bore. Chappy, until you uncork that bike with some aftermarket pipes, filter, etc. etc. etc. (and there are a lot of other etc's) you'll be throwing money away on a bore. Wiseco's are a good choice, but as I said there are many things you should do first. If you look at my sig, I'm am still on the stock top end, pistons and all (with great compression I might add), with the mods listed. When I tear my bike down to do the porting, I will be swapping to a set of Wiseco's at that point.

you said the bike is totally stock, right??? did you blow the motor up already? if so then yes i would change the pistons, and use the wiseco pistons. if you haven't blown up the top end then i wouldn't tear the motor apart just to put pistons in. you aren't going to notice much difference in a totally stock bike.

i would suggest getting a good set of pipes and silencers first. then when you have to tear the motor apart then change the pistons. you know the old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it... i think that applies here. good choice on a quad though.

my 2 cents and you can keep the change.

Chevrolet, how come you dropped your coolant system post? Anyway, you won't really see any HP improvement to speak of by simply increasing the bore. Chappy, until you uncork that bike with some aftermarket pipes, filter, etc. etc. etc. (and there are a lot of other etc's) you'll be throwing money away on a bore. Wiseco's are a good choice, but as I said there are many things you should do first. If you look at my sig, I'm am still on the stock top end, pistons and all (with great compression I might add), with the mods listed. When I tear my bike down to do the porting, I will be swapping to a set of Wiseco's at that point.

wen you get your porting done tell me i wos thing having it done/the coolant thing someboty sed the same thing i did

Alright thanks for all the info guys.The quad runs great,its the first banshee I've ever ridden but it seems to run like a raped ape so I would assume it's ok.My friends told me that you should rebuild the top end on a 2 stroke every couple years so I was going by that but I guess thats not necasarrily true then.I read back further in the forums and found how to check the compression but I didn't see what a good compression reading should be?I will have to get a compression tester and check it and rebuild them when it drops.Thanks again guys

you said the bike is totally stock, right??? did you blow the motor up already? if so then yes i would change the pistons, and use the wiseco pistons. if you haven't blown up the top end then i wouldn't tear the motor apart just to put pistons in. you aren't going to notice much difference in a totally stock bike.

i would suggest getting a good set of pipes and silencers first. then when you have to tear the motor apart then change the pistons. you know the old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it... i think that applies here. good choice on a quad though.

my 2 cents and you can keep the change.

Good advise. Why tear apart a perfectly good motor if there is nothing wrong with it? When you do have some extra time & money, some FMF fatties with an airbox change to free-flowing K & N air filters will give you the most added power for the your dollar though. This will involve jetting changes with metering needle adjustments as well.

I'm not advocating tearing apart a good running motor for aftermarket pistons, but aren't the wiseco pro-lites lighter than stock? I know they don't add HP, but wouldn't it rev faster due to less rotating mass? I've raced two almost identically setup motors with same jetting, and the Wiseco one (with only SLIGHTLY more compression and dremel polished exhaust ports) pullls away on top every time, regardless of rider. I know, there are a couple other variables in there, but it's just my theory and my 0.02. :whistling:

Edited by J-Madd