Welders

smokin 2 stroke

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MIG is your normal wire-feed with a protective gas. TIG is the hand-held tungsten-rod dudes. I'm no pro and don't really know how to explain it better. TIG is for aluminum, really good clean welding, no slag at all. You have a little "wand" I guess you could call it with a small tungsten rod in it and it creates a very controlled arc to your surface and you use filler rod that you feed in by hand. MIG is the wire-feed welders you see on TV all the time and stuff. Basically have a roll of wire that the machine feeds into your material.

EDIT: TIG is not ONLY for aluminum, you can weld just about anything with it, just wanted to clarify that.

Edited by BigRed350x

Lincolns economical square wave TIG machines are pretty sweet, thats what I use..a little pricey for the hobbiest..by the time you get your bottle and a few other goodies, youll have around $1800.00 wrapped up in a 175 amp machine, but you can weld just about anything with it. It also comes with a DC stick rig built in the package as well....Jim

The forgotten question....

"what you like to do with it...?)

Before looking at welder, know what you want it to do... 1/8th plate? Weld Banshee frames or car frames?? Aluminum, Ti? Stainless?

I've got 3 Millers. 2 MIG's and one TIG Personally I would buy no other brand.

Don't look new, www.millerwelds.com has a forum with all sorts of people, just like here...

And a classified section..

mig welding is weakest type of welding you can do stick is in the middle tig is the strongest type of welding you can do it is also te hardest to learn how to do properly but makes the prettest welds out of all but its also the slowest form of welding, I have tig welded on aluminum,stainless steel,and steel all the welds it produces are stronger ,stick welding you really dont need to look at its for more industrail uses and more slag is left you will probably want to go with a mig welder you can get good looking welds and learn how pretty easly and the are strong enough for what ever you use them on as long as you get your heat right and speed right you may want to consider going to a collage or tech center and take a night course on welding you can use all the material you want and never run out that way. I welded for(Flour Daniels) duing shut downs for about 3 years I welded at Nucular power plants and other industrial places all over the east coast and also at some Naval ship yards you can make some good money if you dont have kids and like traveling 2nd year out i worked 8months out of the year and borught home over 150k

^^^Boy was that a bitch to read!

I agree that you need to look at what your uses are. There's pluses and minuses to every type of weld:

Mig - messy and not very strong, but quick and easy. Doesn't work well on thick metal. Probably the cheapest machines.

Arc - much cleaner than mig, but still some spatter. Can't do really thin stuff (like 1/16" is too thin) or aluminum.

Tig - can weld all metals. Very clean and very strong welds - no spatter means you can weld in a suit and tie if you want. Hardest method to master as well as most expensive (usually). Also is VERY VERY slow.

I got a chance to use one of THESE at my work the other day. Thing only weighs 13 lbs and can be plugged into any 110v outlet! I'd say that it would do 95% of the jobs I do, and I'm a welder by trade! Plus there's a model w/ a TIG option.

I got a chance to use one of THESE at my work the other day. Thing only weighs 13 lbs and can be plugged into any 110v outlet! I'd say that it would do 95% of the jobs I do, and I'm a welder by trade! Plus there's a model w/ a TIG option.

We just got one of those at our shop for the field and I love that thing.