New Banshee jetting help

moneybags

Ok, I just got a banshee and I would like to know where to begin with jetting.

This is what it has

2002 Yamaha Banshee

421 Cheetah Cub with Clean Up Port built by Passion Racing in 2006

(4 mill stroker, 68mm bore)

Noss Cool Head with Custom Domes by Passion Racing (High Compression) 19 cc

V-Force 2 Reeds

Shearer Small Bore in Frame Pipes (Chrome)

Direct Drive Lock Up Clutch with Custom Chrome Cover

Cascade Innovations 2 into 1 Polished Intake

Single 38 mm Keihin PWK wit LARGE BILLET BOWL

Single Pingel Fuel Valve

Adjustable Timing plate set at +4 Degrees

The shee has a

220 main jet

52 pilet jet

EEK needle on the bottom clip twords the point

I will be useing pure race fuel.

The guy I got it from said that it was set up for 4000 feet. I am at sea level wich is where I will be riden and temps around 60.

Can I Use an airbox with the Shearer Small Bore in Frame Pipes? :thanks:

Edited by moneybags

To be honest, your cub should never see trails, so...you shouldn't need the air box. A pair of clamp on foam or K&N filters with outerwears will suffice. You'd have to hack the hell out of your airbox, Shearers are designed to be run with pod style filters.

I think that jetting is too rich, especially at 4000 feet, let alone sea level.

usually guys with similar mods run 180's or 190's for the main, and cubs like a leaner pilot...but, since it's a 1 into 2....52 is probably about right.

To be honest, bump up that timing to 8 or so, since you're going to be using straight race gas.

Also...a cub benefits from a dual carb setup more than a single. however, I'd be interested to see how that thing runs...with a large single.

that is a nice looking bike!!!

So it sounds like It will be safe to take it for a ride before doing any jetting?

I will be the one riding at sea level.

I was thinking about bumping that timing aswell.

I looket at the plug as soon as I got the shee. It looked real crappy. Like Black and carbon filled. I figered that was from starting it around the grauge and not riden it.

I want to go with a 2 carb setup what size carbe should I get.

Would a set of Toomey T5 pipes work good on the cub Insted on the sheares pipes?

Edited by moneybags

So it sounds like It will be safe to take it for a ride before doing any jetting?

I will be the one riding at sea level.

I was thinking about bumping that timing aswell.

I looket at the plug as soon as I got the shee. It looked real crappy. Like Black and carbon filled. I figered that was from starting it around the grauge and not riden it.

I want to go with a 2 carb setup what size carbe should I get.

Would a set of Toomey T5 pipes work good on the cub Insted on the sheares pipes?

Putting a T5 on that motor is like putting a wash cloth in front of your mouth while you're trying to breath, quite literally. I had stock carbs and T5s when I first built my cub. Total waste of time and money...period.

Shearer inframes are the best pipe for a cub cylinder in my opinion, especially inframes.

I would say you are MORE than safe on the jetting, probably way rich. But...starting it and running it in the garage isn't going to help you tune it.

Get a few sets of plugs, and follow this to a T to dial in your main.

http://www.dfn.com/benkaren/plugchop.html

If you're gonna dune/drag race...get 35PWKs or TM35s. If you're gonna drag only, get 39s.

Something tells me by your question of T5 pipes you want to trail ride this bike, tell me I'm wrong...

Ridin trails on a 421 would be pretty interesting.

It sucks...trust me. I tried to tame a 421 cub with T5 pipes and stock carbs. The same setup I had for my stock motor all last year. Yeah, it ran and pulled a very impressive dyno..but it was no fun. Just as it hit the pipe...I'd be locking up the brakes.

As bigred put it..it's all kinds of the wrong kind of power for trails.

Well, I dont know what your deffinition of trail riding is. But if it is like, hay let's go climb that monster hill over their, then go see how fast we can get going top speed, then make a 1 or 2 mile gravel road mediem ride speed, then spin 20 donunt in front of a familey of five just so they can hear the pipes then, go mash through the bushes to hit a cheezy track with crappy jumps. all in 15 min of ridin

Then yes I plan on trail riding my shee

No that sounds more like hillclimbing, riding a road, doing donuts, and hitting a cheesy track...not trails :biggrin: LOL

But onto subject...I'd use your black one for the trails and turn this one into a hillclimber/duner/dragger...it's damn near setup for it already.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you get a single or pair of 35's for the 06?

No porting? You might want to wait, I think you'll be very disappointed in the output of that bike with stock porting...

If it's a single, then it'll probably work pretty well.

Yes, a direct drive lockup and clutch cover generally hold .5 qts. more than stock, total of 2.

Well, I went out and rode it around today. It ripped pritty darn good. But dose need some tuning.

It was running real rich in the 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. So I think I should maby lean the needel out alittle bit. Maby the main jet aswell.

Man thoes Cheetas sure use gas quick. I mixed 2 gallons of race gas and it lasted maby 40 minets.

I even had the extra plugs to do a plug chop and the video camera to get some video. But ended up running out of gas first.

Do any of you have any Idea why my banshee will be ideling real good then maby after a minet of it it just dies? It dose not idel down then die it just died

Do any of you have any Idea why my banshee will be ideling real good then maby after a minet of it it just dies? It dose not idel down then die it just died

It just did this while sitting and idling? How was the bike running before this in the 0-1/4 throttle range? Did you check plugs after it died?

Well, I went out and rode it around today. It ripped pritty darn good. But dose need some tuning.

It was running real rich in the 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. So I think I should maby lean the needel out alittle bit. Maby the main jet aswell.

Man thoes Cheetas sure use gas quick. I mixed 2 gallons of race gas and it lasted maby 40 minets.

I even had the extra plugs to do a plug chop and the video camera to get some video. But ended up running out of gas first.

I know if you're running the 68 pilots that is most of your problem.Go down to a 50 pilot and adjust your air screws.Try that before moving your needle position and see how it reacts.