What did I do wrong...

Bigvincent

Just got everything back together and tried a test ride last night. It would start normal and idle normal, but when I would try to go through the gears and hit WOT it would not hit that sweet spot and throw you back in your seat. I am running the needle on the 3rd clip from the top, screw is out 2 turns, and the main was a 180. Am I running too lean?

TIA :beer:

I have an edit. Apoligies Big VIncent. On my 94 with a decent drag port I run 170 mains, 52 pilots, CEL needles on the #2 clip with CPI's and pods. On the 02 with a play port I run 165 mains, 52 pilots and a CGL needle on the #3 clip with SST's.

Sorry for the mis-information. I have no idea how I pulled 155 mains out of my pea-brain. Maybe something to do with both having 52 pilots. Took me a while to dial in the 02 though. Still not perfect. My guess is I have to upgrade the pipes.

I have an edit. Apoligies Big VIncent. On my 94 with a decent drag port I run 170 mains, 52 pilots, CEL needles on the #2 clip with CPI's and pods. On the 02 with a play port I run 165 mains, 52 pilots and a CGL needle on the #3 clip with SST's.

Sorry for the mis-information. I have no idea how I pulled 155 mains out of my pea-brain. Maybe something to do with both having 52 pilots. Took me a while to dial in the 02 though. Still not perfect. My guess is I have to upgrade the pipes.

No problem...I just needed a decent starting point. i am still running an air box, no lid, so we'll see how these 155's work out. Thanks

:beer:

Ok, I got back WOT, and man that baby hit the powerband hard. The lowend seems very sluggish and then BAM the front wheels are coming off the ground. I tried doing a plug chop but I must have screwed up somehow. I put the new plugs in and then let it warm for about 2min adn took off riding I was in 4thgear at WOT and filled it. The plug is light brown all the way to the top. I am guessing I didn't do the test correctly?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

warm it up on old plugs. Take new ones put 'em in, run WOT to 5th gear if you can. Pull in the clutch, kill the ignition and hold the throttle wide open. Coast/brake to a stop. Put old plugs back in...cut the new ones and check for a ring.

http://www.dfn.com/benkaren/plugchop.html

Brand new plugs with one WOT run should have no coloring on the tip of the insulator...just the base.

I'd say you're probably 1 to 2 size rich. You're in the fine tuning now. You want a 2mm brown or tan smoke ring. You are very close.

I's say if you're expecting a HUGE temp drop, like 50 degrees or so, leave 'em in. But...if your climate is consistent, and this is what they look like with 155's in there, I'd go 152 and then 150 on the main. One of those two should be spot on.

Then, clean up the pilot/air screw.... I think you should try 48 pilots, and play with the air screws to see if you can get ideal throttle response....

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a chance to fool around with this again. I wasn't able to get 48 pilots so i got 45's. It's a little better but still not what it should be. It is still sluggish till about 1/2-3/4 throttle, and I mean very sluggish. I moved the needle to the second clip from the top. My air screw is 2 turns out. Should I go down another pilot size?

Thanks