My Flywheel disaster!....exploded

Polish

sure its safe, there people all over this forum that run the same flywheel he ran, theres isnt any safer... he was just unfortunate that his didnt hold up...like sdaid he didnt have that much taken off, he had a pretty comon amount shaved from the wheel his just didnt holdup to it... for all you and i know the flywheel already had stress or hair lines in it and by shaving it it made it even weaker... is that still the responsability of the guy shaving it? i dont think so... unless you expect them to put the flywheel under a scope to see if there are any areas that are fractured

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my flywheel disaster..........while traveling out to China Wall ......and doing a lot of runs up and down the hill........I found myself broke down about 4 1/2 miles from camp..........we were leaving and about 5 min away from China Wall......my Bike went POP...........I thought for sure it was my crank............But by kicking my bike over all the compression seem to be still there......(just no spark).......switched coils with another banshee........and still no spark!!!!!!.........so I tore off the stator cover and this is what I found...................Look at this mess.......

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

SAFE? C'MON MAN

SAFE? C'MON MAN

lol thats nothing... the fly wheel speperated at the bend.. big deal. it could have been worse and spidered out and shattered... when it let go it wasnt even viloent... it was like he stuck the motor.... so yes its absolutely safe...not to mention he has a freakin billet staor cover so that thing wasnt going anywhere , now with the stock plastic yea i can see it ripping through it...

YES! It is the builders responsability to make sure the parts is not already defective..

done

your fuking crazy! you thin a build is going to take a scope and go over the flywheel to inspect it and make sure its perfect before and after he shaves it? ...

then your saying they should do the same with cranks... a crank can give out but you dont bitch saying they didnt inspect the crank... or your pistons can break a skirt you bitch casue they didnt scope the pistons? comon use a little common scence!

whos to say that the person installing it didnt damage it while installing or hadling it prior to installing... or perhapps the amount of abuse they put on it while riding...

like iv said 100 times in this post the amount taken off isnt the problem .... there are PLENTY of people running the exact same cut on thiers without the flywheel coming apart...

Edited by Bansh-eman

There certainly was not any sound engineering done to determine how much metal to remove on that flywheel and I certainly doubt there are that many people running around with flywheels like that. There looks to be 1mm of material there at the point of fracture. :down:

i know for a FACT there any several people running the same flywheel cut he had done... but i wont mention any names... the guy that did the cutting knows what he is doing im 100% sure of that and he does these thing all the time ... he knows how much metal to take of and from where to get the wiegth desired... im not going to drop dimes being polish doesnt want to mention where it was cut and ruin somones image do to his misfortune.

well,i can say this much for myself,NEVER have i had a customer come back to me with a flywheel looking like that.If i would,i would surely make it right for the guy and replace whatever damage was caused.

welp i ll keep your customer service in mind later on then! always good to stand by your products ...

but how knows maybe if he contacts the cutter he might do the same... i dont know...

That sucks man. :down:

Hope you can get it back together and back out tearing up the dunes!

I will look through my boxes of banshee crap and see if I can find you a flywheel.

that would be sweet bro..........LMK

i think the guy is fortunate the flywheel did not come out and cause HIM damage,i think the statement of "luck of the draw" and"its just a matter of time" is very poor.Not trying to be an ass here,but any shop that does any kind of work such as that have a "liability".Even if the customer says to take so much off its paper thin,the shop should have had nough sense to say"sorry we cant,,thats gonna make the material way to thin"the guy can come back and sue you even if the guy signed off on it.After a shop lightens a flywheel,it still should never come apart,anyone can machine a flywheel down to nothing and take a pound off it but is it safe?

I agree also..........now I have to fork out almost $400 bucks for everything it destroyed

i know for a FACT there any several people running the same flywheel cut he had done... but i wont mention any names... the guy that did the cutting knows what he is doing im 100% sure of that and he does these thing all the time ... he knows how much metal to take of and from where to get the wiegth desired... im not going to drop dimes being polish doesnt want to mention where it was cut and ruin somones image do to his misfortune.

whos side are you on?......sounds to me that your dogg'n your riding buddy and dont even know it..........at least you might not think so but thats what Im getting from it.......... :down:

whos side are you on?......sounds to me that your dogg'n your riding buddy and dont even know it..........at least you might not think so but thats what Im getting from it.......... :down:

im not taking a side... im saying that the flywheel coming apart has nothing to do with too much metal being taken off casue there are alot of flywheel wih the same cut and no problems.. the problem lies within your flywheel.. or at least whats left of it...

dogging on you . pfft comon get real...dont make me smack you with one of those god damn salami sangishes you bring all the time!

Edited by Bansh-eman