Ricky Stator Packages

BigRed350x

Anyone else have a problem with ricky stator units having the fucking bolts so god damn tight that when you have to losen them to adjust your pickup gap the bolts just twist off? I have had 3 BRAND new ones direct from RS and all 3 of them had the wrong gap set and all 3 of the fucking things had the little POS bolts twist right off or strip out trying to turn them. What a bunch of shit. Any time I get one now I don't even install it, I drill out the bolts that are in there, re-tap them the next size bigger and do it myself. ...and if you want to try and use the RS timing plate off an old stator you might as well drill those out too, because they are just as tight. Thought maybe they were putting loctite on them or something, but heat doesn't make any difference. Don't know WTF RickyStator is doing, but its gay.

Anyone else have this problem?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I have always been a fan of the RS stuff but this last 200 watter I bought has been a pain ever since i got it.

First like you said the pick up coil screws were junk and the timing plate looks like a cheap piece from china or something. the fit and finish is horrible. Then just recently while dyno tuning my bike I started getting a bad ignition scatter at high RPM. After pulling the flywheel to check some things I found all of the bolts that hold the stator had come loose on the backing plate. Now I figured that the screws had come loose but that was not the problem, what happened was the stator had been wearing on the soft material screws so bad that it was allowing the stator to move around ALOT. So after trying to remove the screws and stripping them I finally drilled them out and installed some grade 8 cap head screws with loctite.

I guess what i am trying to say is the vendor that RS is buying their stators thru has crappy quality. RS used to be the top of the line but now i am not too sure. I will eventually go back to a factory stator and leave it that way. With a battery DC conversion a stock stator will do fine.

Hey...Bobby...

Last I checked with RS, they MAKE all their own parts in house, so...they would be directly at fault...

Just fyi...

Jared...I bought a brand new stock Watt stator and plate from RS earlier this year, no issues like you're speaking of.

Give it the AK treatment. Just pull that jammy out, it'll scare it enough to loosen up them screws...

:beer:

Actually I have always been a fan of the RS stuff but this last 200 watter I bought has been a pain ever since i got it.

First like you said the pick up coil screws were junk and the timing plate looks like a cheap piece from china or something. the fit and finish is horrible. Then just recently while dyno tuning my bike I started getting a bad ignition scatter at high RPM. After pulling the flywheel to check some things I found all of the bolts that hold the stator had come loose on the backing plate. Now I figured that the screws had come loose but that was not the problem, what happened was the stator had been wearing on the soft material screws so bad that it was allowing the stator to move around ALOT. So after trying to remove the screws and stripping them I finally drilled them out and installed some grade 8 cap head screws with loctite.

I guess what i am trying to say is the vendor that RS is buying their stators thru has crappy quality. RS used to be the top of the line but now i am not too sure. I will eventually go back to a factory stator and leave it that way. With a battery DC conversion a stock stator will do fine.

Really I'm finding that even the 200 watt upgrade is not enouh power :whistling:

No problems with my new stator, but his older version did cause some break up at high RPM's on "some" ported bikes. Mine was one of them, I sent it back and he gave me the new version for free. Thats good service in my book.

Edited by Justintoxicated

• 1 month later...

Well to date I've had probably 8 or 9 RS units and EVERY SINGLE ONE has had the pickup coil set in the wrong place and every single one has had BOTH botl heads twist off with any kinda torque. I think I have only had like 1 or 2 that lasted more than a couple months. They just fail randomly for no reason at all and ruin great weekends at the dunes. I won't guy RS stuff any more. I don't know if they get hot and the crap on the wires melts off or what, but with as much as I ride my banshee I need something that will hold up, and so far stock is the only thing that will hold up half-decent for me.

RS needs to up the anty on their QC