Drag 4mil looking for CDI and Coil. Ideas?

phx450

In the process of building a banshee for Dunes only.

Racing the hill thats it.

I would like to get new cdi and coil but have been told to many different stories.

Anyone have a similar bike with actual data of one coil/cdi making a difference over another?

I was all set to go with Dyna CDI and Nology coil, but heardthe Nology's go bad quick.

Anyone have Dyno proof?

Help!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Dyna and Nology w/ hotwires. Absolutely trouble free for me, roughly 12 to 15 dyno pulls, well over 100 passes on the 300 ft sand drags, and a good two day's riding at the dunes.

They are simple, and work. Make sure you use resistor plugs for the dyna....

There are plenty of good ignitions out there, Wilburn is probably the best...but you're going to pay over a grand for it....

Dyna and Nology, no batteries, charging, etc...needed. Plug it in and go.

However, once you're ready....you can custom program the dyna with 100 dollars worth of software and a cable to get the most out of your bike.

Many will tell you that stock ignition are just fine, many more will tell you they noticed a difference in easier starting and crisper response once they bolted one or both of these items on.

I built a nice little cub motor, why go cheap/OEM on the ignition....a good spark is where it's at....

My .02.

Thats what i figure.

All this money in the bike and motor i would like to upgrade the spark.

any particular Dyan i should get? I know they have a progamable version and one that is just set already.

Nology coil and resistor plugs. Any idea of where to get this stuff at cheap?

Without a doubt...programmable dyna. You can run it now out of the box, see which curve meets your need....and in the future when you have time/money, tune it for the most output.

When you go Nology, make sure you get their Hotwires, NOT the standard wires.

Call or PM Jeff @ FAST, his prices are comptetitve or better than anything I've seen out there, and his service is fantastic. He normally has all this in stock, as well....

www.farmandsandtoys.com

programmed a dyna on a dyno, threw many curve on it, didnt noticely increase any hp or torque.

i got the box used so it wasnt too bad i personnaly dont think that is worth the money.

yeah it provide hotter spark and all just was kinda expecting something fabulous(spelling).

Wes...

Have you thought about having someone else try and program it?

I've read and heard that Andy @ Grand River Racing has some really good curves....and I've read plenty of people that got from 2 or 3 and up to 8HP and a few ft. Lbs. out of one....

Just takes time....

I don't....

But to each is own.

When I get mine done, I'll get a bunch of dyno runs with the stock and other 3 curves on it....then, I'll post results with modified curves.

Gonna be a few months, I got a major change coming up...but, I'll post it up in a nice write up when done....

well wes hate to burst your bubble but i seen what they do first hane.. Polish has a bigger motor and at the time bigger carbs... i couldnt take him after 3rd gear to save my life... then i started messing with my curves and we came across the line neck and neck... and before i was 6 bikes behind him eattng his roost... so i am and he is a very firm beliver that they work... i was only able to hit 4th gear pulling stock curve and i couldnt get to 3rd before i was in the woops...switched to curve 3 and i was pulling 5th to the top and was in 4th gear as i hit the first lip of the woops...

next will be nology here...

....and I've read plenty of people that got from 2 or 3 and up to 8HP and a few ft. Lbs. out of one....

got any proof of this. talked to a guy other nite he played with his timing and plate got 1 hp. i dont see it making 8hp. his motor was pretty much opened up and running on alky. this wasnt with a dyna just saying tweaking his timing got a hp. not 8ish

well wes hate to burst your bubble but i seen what they do first hane.. Polish has a bigger motor and at the time bigger carbs... i couldnt take him after 3rd gear to save my life... then i started messing with my curves and we came across the line neck and neck... and before i was 6 bikes behind him eattng his roost... so i am and he is a very firm beliver that they work... i was only able to hit 4th gear pulling stock curve and i couldnt get to 3rd before i was in the woops...switched to curve 3 and i was pulling 5th to the top and was in 4th gear as i hit the first lip of the woops...
what motor did you have?? your telling me just by puting some timing you killed his bike. got vids of this. to make up 6 bikes difference by adding a bit of timing is really hard to believe. was your custom programmed??

how much timing are both of you guys running. all i know its not like its a bottle of nos, its not going to be put on and then man oh man you start kicking everyones ass. i could see a few ponies but most everyone runs at least +4 already.

and ill wait for the dyno curve jr can post. then maybe ill stand correct.

what motor did you have?? your telling me just by puting some timing you killed his bike. got vids of this. to make up 6 bikes difference by adding a bit of timing is really hard to believe. was your custom programmed??

how much timing are both of you guys running. all i know its not like its a bottle of nos, its not going to be put on and then man oh man you start kicking everyones ass. i could see a few ponies but most everyone runs at least +4 already.

and ill wait for the dyno curve jr can post. then maybe ill stand correct.

i have a mill on stock bore... with 34 pjs and fmf fattys...

i didnt kill his bike but he shur and hell didnt kill me any more...

and no its not custom, its the curve 3 out of the box..

ask polish he will tell you, he was optomistic at first too until i lifted my seat and ran him again and each time was the same results... chnging your timing dose alot.. the dyna is electrocic so it can chance your timing to have alot of bottom then as your rpms get higher switch to have more top... im telling you man get one and try it out... your going to be one to of those believers

Wes,

I'm sure I don't have to explain this to you....but, it will help others reading.

A dyna is not a static curve throghout the RPM range. You can advance it more at low RPMs, and less at Higher RPMs so the motor spins freely.

A plate...well, that's advancing statcially across the board. I think you'll agree that with a static advance, it'll give you a little more down low....but possibly hurt top end at peak revs.

Enter the dyna, more advance at lower RPMs as needed, less at higher RPMs.

Do I have proof or dyno sheets of this, no....

I've read a user tweaking an extra 8 out of his bike with the dyna. I do not know the extent of his mods, but I'm 100% certain the number was 8.

As said, I will post up my dyno results when done. I'm optimistic...if I get a couple of horsepower out of mine, I'll be fine.

I think where it will really come into play is...quicker response, cleaner revs overall....and possibly a smoother power delivery the cubs aren't known for. But, I really bought my dyna since my OEM was cracked where the wires are, figured why not try it....to be honest.

**EDIT***

Just reread your post wes, and to answer your question, I run 8 on my plate AND curve 3 on the dyna... At the most advanced it comes in just under 30 deg. total....then, tapers off...

Good info so far guys.

I'm thinking of the dyna with nology coil with hot wires.

I know it wont be a huge difference, but if it adds 2-5 hp overall i would gladly take it. The amount of money im putting into motor and bike, i dont want to skimp on spark.

Plus if 3-5 hp can help me keep up with the skinny kids on Daddy's bikes i need it!

I was curious if anyone had a 4 mil with some dyno charts of stock CDI/COIL vs aftermarket. Someone has got to have some info with data to back up the claims.