How do you guys align the front end?

Gears & Crosses

I'm working on the front suspension this morning to install YFZ450 shocks. Since I will have it all apart, I was wondering how do you guys align the front end? My alignment maybe a little off to start with so I may try to fix it now.

How do you set the toe? Is there anyway to adjust the camber?

Gears

You can't adjust the camber with the stock components. You adjust your alignment by putting your front end up on a jack stand, get your handlebars as straight as possible then measure the distance between the two wheels in front of the tires and back of the tires. Then you adjust your tie rods to get the wheels straight. Idealy, you want the distance between the front and back of the tires to be the same. Does that make sense?

You'll need some point of reference... take a yard stick, line it up 90 degrees with your steering stem out the front bumper...use that as your centerline.

Then...adjust the wheels so the front tire centers are equal from the Centerline, and the center of the rear of the tire is the same....

That will get you close enough....

You can't adjust the camber with the stock components. You adjust your alignment by putting your front end up on a jack stand, get your handlebars as straight as possible then measure the distance between the two wheels in front of the tires and back of the tires. Then you adjust your tie rods to get the wheels straight. Idealy, you want the distance between the front and back of the tires to be the same. Does that make sense?

Ya that makes sense, except the part of doing it with the front end up on jack stands. I checked the alignment like you said but, with the front end on the ground with the suspension preloaded. My bike was slightly toed in, about a 1/4" which maybe too much toe but I figure it wasn't enough to mess with it at the time. What do you think?

Gears

Edited by Gears & Crosses

DO NOT put your bike on jackstands. You want your alignment to be dialed in at ride hieght, not full droop. It might work for bigboybanshee cuz he has a drag frontend that prolly doesn't move, but if u (ass-u-meing u have "normal suspension") put your bike on jack stands and do the alignment you will have toe-out at ride hieght.

edit:1/8" to a 1/4" of toe-in is fine

Edited by letsgetthisdone

DO NOT put your bike on jackstands. You want your alignment to be dialed in at ride hieght, not full droop. It might work for bigboybanshee cuz he has a drag frontend that prolly doesn't move, but if u (ass-u-meing u have "normal suspension") put your bike on jack stands and do the alignment you will have toe-out at ride hieght.

edit:1/8" to a 1/4" of toe-in is fine

You guys are right, I'm really sorry. My front suspension doesn't move since I'm running drag struts...I totally didn't think about that. My bad!!! :ninja:

You'll definitely want to adjust your alignment with the front end on the ground....I do mine on jack stands cause of those little tires, makes it easier for me to reach them, LOL

You guys are right, I'm really sorry. My front suspension doesn't move since I'm running drag struts...I totally didn't think about that. My bad!!! :ninja:

You'll definitely want to adjust your alignment with the front end on the ground....I do mine on jack stands cause of those little tires, makes it easier for me to reach them, LOL

No problem dude, I glad you replied to my question! Like I said earlier I did it the same way you described with the exception of having my bike on the ground. I came up with this after searching about 4 different ATV sites. Everyone's method was different.

You have a mean looking Shee. Do you have any more pics???

Thanks again,

Gears

No problem dude, I glad you replied to my question! Like I said earlier I did it the same way you described with the exception of having my bike on the ground. I came up with this after searching about 4 different ATV sites. Everyone's method was different.

You have a mean looking Shee. Do you have any more pics???

Thanks again,

Gears

Sure do, I'll send you a PM :beer: