old fmf gold series

casamagana

First time asking for help. I've tried the search with little luck. I've got some old FMF Gold Series

pipes that don't line up or come close to fitting the silencer stinger tube. The FMF silencer is stamped as an ISDE model. Looks like a turbine core muffler. Quad runs great, just keep tearing

the exhaust boots and they always leak. How do these pipes compare with later FMF stuff? If they are really old school, what would be a better pipe for fun sand duning only? Mufflers look

great and I'd really like to keep them. Thanks ahead of time for the help.

I had a set of FMF Gold Fattys with the TurbineCore ll,s and loved them. Great low and mid range tork for a allmost stock motor (air pods with tors removed) After the motor work they had to much low end, so I went to CPI in frames. As far as lineing up, sounds like the stingers might be bent ot tweeked a bit. Mine fit great.

Edited by kb7kuh

These don't say fatty or gnarly like the newer stuff I see. Just "Gold." They feel like a low to mid range pipe. Is there a way to measure or compare them with later pipes? If they're comparable to later pipes I'll use them. Is there more to be had with newer stuff? Just don't want to spend money if I can work with these to build a good sand play quad. Thanks.

Thanks Chris

Went to my local Yamaha dealer to look at some pipes. None seem to have what I would call

a stop ring or seal ring welded about an inch from the end of the pipe. Stinger fits well into the

pipe, just a small angle mismatch. The problem seems to be that ring. The rubber seal coupler fits over this ring. I don't see a need for it. Was this a FMF attempt to add a dam and prevent leaks?

I'm thinking about ginding off the welds and rings. Newer stuff doesn't use it.

Thanks again for any input.