Wolf Pack Shock Mod vs. Aftermarket Shocks

FireHead

He just rebuilt my axis shocks with synthetic shock fluid. I cant say enough about how good they are now. He also did the back stock shock and it was 200% better. As far as the way my bike handles now I would say he is talented. I have called him several times from different races to get suggestions on shock adjustments and he is right on.

Since I pretty much only ride in the dunes I really can't decide on new shocks or the modified stockers. I was really interested if anyone had tried the midified YFZ shocks from Wolfpack. I think mist reoutable folks can do a good jobn fixing up the stoxk rear shock.

what the difference in rebuilt 450's and some new elkas? call me dumb, but wheres the difference? Ive never seen the two side by side. if youre looking for HS/LS comp and reb adj then i can see it. but between somemid range elkas or works where is it?

The 450s have a gigantic body, a thick shaft, and a piggyback with clickers. The builder is going to change the valve, and then obviously the shim stacks. if you go back with good parts, a nice slick fluid, and a dual rate setup with quality springs then whats so different?

at that point it should be up to the tuner to get his settings right on the inside and let the consumer fine-tune with the clickers.

just some thoughts.

what the difference in rebuilt 450's and some new elkas? call me dumb, but wheres the difference? Ive never seen the two side by side. if youre looking for HS/LS comp and reb adj then i can see it. but between somemid range elkas or works where is it?

The 450s have a gigantic body, a thick shaft, and a piggyback with clickers. The builder is going to change the valve, and then obviously the shim stacks. if you go back with good parts, a nice slick fluid, and a dual rate setup with quality springs then whats so different?

at that point it should be up to the tuner to get his settings right on the inside and let the consumer fine-tune with the clickers.

just some thoughts.

This is the same thought process I am going through. I was hoping that someone smarter than I had an opinion about this so that I might be able to make a decision. :baseball_santa:

This is the same thought process I am going through. I was hoping that someone smarter than I had an opinion about this so that I might be able to make a decision. :baseball_santa:

I run the 450 shocks from shane (wolfpack) and they are freaking awesome. I've traded shocks with a guy who had some elka shocks set up for the dunes and my 450 shocks rode way better I thought. They are super soft on light impact and get pretty stiff when I smash into stuff. Its the nicest ride I have ever had. Espeically with my +2+1 arms. He even PC'd my springs to match my bike and set them up to be soft. Everyone who sits on my banshee loves it.

I would recommend going with the 450 shock re-valved. You won't regret it. Mine took about two days of riding to get "broke in" but after that they were exactly what I wanted.

I run the 450 shocks from shane (wolfpack) and they are freaking awesome. I've traded shocks with a guy who had some elka shocks set up for the dunes and my 450 shocks rode way better I thought. They are super soft on light impact and get pretty stiff when I smash into stuff. Its the nicest ride I have ever had. Espeically with my +2+1 arms. He even PC'd my springs to match my bike and set them up to be soft. Everyone who sits on my banshee loves it.

I would recommend going with the 450 shock re-valved. You won't regret it. Mine took about two days of riding to get "broke in" but after that they were exactly what I wanted.

Sweet! I think I shall go the Wolfpack route. I believe that the stock rear shock and the 450 fronts rival many of the high end aftermarket units in construction and design, but it's just a matter of getting them tuned and sprung correctly to what I am doing with them. :baseball_santa:

post-5-1149827932.jpg

Sweet! I think I shall go the Wolfpack route. I believe that the stock rear shock and the 450 fronts rival many of the high end aftermarket units in construction and design, but it's just a matter of getting them tuned and sprung correctly to what I am doing with them. :baseball_santa:

Shane can do your rear shock as well. :beer:

big red, you need some sun on them legs!

Firehead, you seem very proficient with your bike. you may consider doing the rebuilds yourself. i wrote an article on redoing the rear and would be more than happy to answer an questions you may have. also, i looked into doing my fronts myself also since i too run the 450 shocks. its seems very straight forward.

plus dont you have some CNC experience? if you redid the rear, it wouldnt be hard to copy the new valve design and scale it down to fit the smalled diameter front bodies. ive been thinking about this for quite some time.

Edited by gimmeabeer

big red, you need some sun on them legs!

Firehead, you seem very proficient with your bike. you may consider doing the rebuilds yourself. i wrote an article on redoing the rear and would be more than happy to answer an questions you may have. also, i looked into doing my fronts myself also since i too run the 450 shocks. its seems very straight forward.

plus dont you have some CNC experience? if you redid the rear, it wouldnt be hard to copy the new valve design and scale it down to fit the smalled diameter front bodies. ive been thinking about this for quite some time.

My skin also reflects the sun....... I would be interested in doing the shocks myself, but I will have to read about how you did yours. I am only proficient in the 1-6 beer range.

I have not seen either valve design, but I can make you anything that you want as far as the CNC stuff goes. :baseball_santa: