t-rex 72mm bore 440cc it

blanco25

i had planned on getting the 393cc t-rex kit but the yamaha dealer fu**ed up and didn't get it ordered. now that motor is on back order from dasa. so now i found a 72mm bore stock stroke t-rex kit that turns out to be a 440. the company im getting it from is team racers edge dan lamey. is he a good builder? what kind of horsepower m i going to get. dan is also going to do the porting on the engine. picked up 36mm flat side carbs, boost bootle,advance the timing and rejetting. is this bike going to be dune ridable or is this a drag bike?

forgot i have fmf fatties as well as power cores 2 and k&n pro flow.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i got smoked by a neighbor on his banshee so i wanted to make mine faster. i went to the yamaha dealship where i bought the bike a month ago and told me to go with the t-rex. i really dont know to much about it. but the fu**ed up the order and my bike sat there for 2 weeks and the motor never came. and i had already paid the 3300. so i went on the internet and found dan at racers edge.

what is t-rex not any good? the other thing was i got a yamaha card and the dealership was the only place i could use it. but since they fu**ed up they had to buy the motor from racers edge to keep me happy or i was going to throw the bike threw the front window.

well i got smoked by a neighbor on his banshee so i wanted to make mine faster. i went to the yamaha dealship where i bought the bike a month ago and told me to go with the t-rex. i really dont know to much about it. but the fu**ed up the order and my bike sat there for 2 weeks and the motor never came. and i had already paid the 3300. so i went on the internet and found dan at racers edge.

first, dealers dont know shit, they heard something someone said and make it thier own.

second, dealrers will rip you just for the cash, i just had one tell me you cant press the inner gear out of the clutch backet and i would have to by a new one. yeah BS someone tell Hinson that.

should have bought a Cub set up, they smoke T rexes all day long...

thanks god you guys were making me nervous. well from now on ill take the bike somewhere else to get worked on. i just did it this way because it still had the factory warranty on it if they did the work.

has anyone heard of dan lamey though? and what kind of power am i getting from that motor? :shrug:

thanks god you guys were making me nervous. well from now on ill take the bike somewhere else to get worked on. i just did it this way because it still had the factory warranty on it if they did the work.

has anyone heard of dan lamey though? and what kind of power am i getting from that motor? :shrug:

I don't know his work but I'm sure he will tell you what kind of HP to expect from it.

he's a very busy man i guess i will just wait till i get it back should be done today. the he will ship it back to the yamaha dealership. so hopefully ill have it next tuesday for the first ride. when the dealership gets it i might just have them dyno it for me. they said they would do it for free. :beer:

he's a very busy man i guess i will just wait till i get it back should be done today. the he will ship it back to the yamaha dealership. so hopefully ill have it next tuesday for the first ride. when the dealership gets it i might just have them dyno it for me. they said they would do it for free. :beer:

before they strap it down... make sure they break it in VERY well first... something about building a motor, then putting it on a dyno running 10k rpm wont have a good out come...

I run a 421 cub on a flat track bike with a single 38mm carb. With that set up it makes 75hp.

before that i had 40mm lectrons on alky and it made 98hp. We aslo have another cub with twin 35pwks on gas and that one makes 85 HP. the single carb really brings up the bottom with out losing to much on WOT @ top end.

cubs arnt just drag bikes, they just have much better port casings then the t rex's.

I heat cycled mine three times and rode it barely, straight to dyno.

It all depends on what school of thoguht you belong to, I guess...to each is own.

Ware, you might have a few hidden ponies somewhere. I pulled 84.8 on a dyno with stock carbs and T5 pipes... A simple cleanup port is all, just flashing and casting flaws removed, no more!

before they strap it down... make sure they break it in VERY well first... something about building a motor, then putting it on a dyno running 10k rpm wont have a good out come...

I run a 421 cub on a flat track bike with a single 38mm carb. With that set up it makes 75hp.

before that i had 40mm lectrons on alky and it made 98hp. We aslo have another cub with twin 35pwks on gas and that one makes 85 HP. the single carb really brings up the bottom with out losing to much on WOT @ top end.

cubs arnt just drag bikes, they just have much better port casings then the t rex's.

whos and what dyno where you using....?: the problem with comparing dyno numbers is they vary so much from dyno to dyno..the dyno we use is pretty conservitave, we also have a 370PV ESR 250r motor that put out 55hp, but you hear of these things in the 60-65hp range. a good example is the numbers A&S puts up... everyone know they are full of shit... I personally think dynos are good tuning tools but not good for comparing someone numbers to anothers unless your using the same dyno at the same time... Our shees run T-5s as well. the bike with the single carb has huge torque but with that single carb it isnt going to make big HP's it just cant flow enough or fast enough, plus it had low port timings.

the motor that has the 35's would be the best to try and compare apples to apples and were pretty close with each others HP numbers. your not going to see a big HP difference between gas carbs just when and where the power comes in.. a horse here or there but nothing to make you go wow!

Edited by wareracing

I used a Dyno in Ortonville, MI. It used to be called DynoEdge, but...the company itself really no longer exists. John owns it. He still let people use it that are previous customers, friends, etc...but, it's not advertised anymore.

jankab here on the HQ did the work and tuning on it...he'll vouch that dyno puts out some pretty safe numbers.

There was a guy from Vito's there as well, and he was impressed as well a stock carb T5 put that out.

I agree with you...however, a dyno is great for comparing mods. Track time, etc., is the only real way to see how that equates!

While I really don't know anything about A&S's dyno, or if they have one...Dan Hull builds some fast ass bikes, period. I don't care for his customer service...or lack thereof. I called him a long time ago with questions because a local dyno shop here said he is the man for cub cylinders, and he played a big part in the porting specs of the cub (again, what I was told from a local dyno here in Shelby Twp., these are NOT my words.)..bottom line is after two phone calls and voicemails to him, no call back.

I'm not here to bash Dan, I know he's busy, and I can only account with my dealings with him as stated above. IN that same sentence...there is no doubt he builds fast ass banshees and drag bikes, period...no matter what the dyno numbers on his site say.

That all being said....since that time, I've added Dyna, Nology, RDZ inframes and PWK35s. I'm hoping to get to Lakes powersports (Waterford area) and see what these mods did for me, in comparison to the previous dyno runs with previous mods. I have a number in my head, I'd like to see if it's close to that...:)

It's all good!!

:beer:

You beat me to it Big Blue.

Also Blanco, have fun rebuilding it when something goes wrong cause the only place you can buy the pistons is from Racers Edge or DASA (same place) and they are $250 a set! But it is your money and you can do with it what you want but before you get too deep get rid of the trex and go to cub, believe I know. Hopefully this will be my last year with my cylinders. Also that big of bore with stock stroke! It will have all kinds of low end with the powervalves but the top end isn't much better than any other shee. Another thing you will kill that engine with your pipes atleast try and find some CPI's. Anyways just thougth I would chime in a little hoping you might learn from my mistakes, the Trex is just old school, its like anything as time goes on technology gets better hince the Cubs! The port layout on the trex isn't very efficient.