well here is the new quad from ktm/polaris merge

ktm=good, polaris=crap

i will agree 100% with you i owned key word owned a polaris predator only because my banshee was down so i bought it to ride thought it was a nice quad untill i got my banshee running again then i was like fuck this and sold it for half of what a paid for it i only rode it like every other weekend for two months it was a nice quad when i sold it but no one wanted it surprise not really

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think its as far off as you think. the only real disadvantage to irs is the added weight of dual shocks/springs/cv's/ barkes etc. once they figure out how to get the weight down without driving up the cost much you wont see any more straight axles except on low end machines.

from a performance, handling, traction, braking perspective irs is decades ahead.

maybe drag racing is where straight axles would awalys be better ill surely admit that, but there isnt a single 4 wheeler made from the factory which is strictly for dragging. oems cater to the masses and short of irs and fuel injection, the 4 wheeler market has sort of been stagnant as far as innovation goes.

MX is what is going to drive the high-performance market for the near future at least. And IRS does NOT have any advantage there. All you get is body roll. Think what you want, but straight axles aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Besides, you'll never get the weight down as low.

Edited by dawarriorman

MX is what is going to drive the high-performance market for the near future at least. And IRS does NOT have any advantage there. All you get is body roll. Think what you want, but straight axles aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Besides, you'll never get the weight down as low.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Try and corner an IRS quad as fast as you can one with straight axle... just can't be done. Actually try and do what dmcbanshee does with his with a quad with IRS. That would be some funny shit.

Edited by BigRed350x

Alright you guys can all have your opinions on the predators, but I personally like mine. It might be heavy, but doesn't just about every atv have something that someone is going to bitch about? And when you only weigh 145 pounds like myself, the extra weight really doesn't bother me too much. Sure some might find it ugly, but the outlaw with the 525 weighs 395 dry, and a banshee weighs 386 dry, is 9 pounds really THAT much? I personally am going to wait until I see it perform to make up my decision. No matter what any company does with an atv or anything, some people are going to like it, and some are going to hate it, whatever gets peoples jollies I guess.

Alright you guys can all have your opinions on the predators, but I personally like mine. It might be heavy, but doesn't just about every atv have something that someone is going to bitch about? And when you only weigh 145 pounds like myself, the extra weight really doesn't bother me too much. Sure some might find it ugly, but the outlaw with the 525 weighs 395 dry, and a banshee weighs 386 dry, is 9 pounds really THAT much? I personally am going to wait until I see it perform to make up my decision. No matter what any company does with an atv or anything, some people are going to like it, and some are going to hate it, whatever gets peoples jollies I guess.

I don't think it really matters how well it performs cause it still looks like shit. I wouldn't want to ride that thing out in public!

Yeah, but you're comparing a brand new quad to a 20 year old design. Look at the yfz, it weighs 350 lbs dry. You get an IRS quad to 350, and I'll build a straight axle quad that weighs 300. You won't be able to get ahead.

IRS has its uses, but it isn't the best thing imaginable. Its simply more suited to certain tasks.

I have a friend who bought a Predaturd Troy Lee Edition and he rode it for 6 months before the middle of the frame completely cracked, he then had to wait 4 months for Polaris to get him a new frame. Once he got the new frame on he sold the pos and got a YFZ450. Just from what ive heard and the feedback from polaris I wouldnt ever think about purchasing a polaris.

Edited by DirtyFitz

As far as looks goes, some will like it, some won't just like everything else like shaved fenders or what color scheme you go with, I think the independant rear suspension is aimed more towards gncc and older riders who still want the speed and performance of a sport quad, but the comfort of independant rear suspension, I personally wouldn't buy an outlaw just because it has IRS, however the KTM motor I like a lot and have heard a lot of good things about, I'm more looking forward to a KTM motor in the predator or whenever they come out with the KTM quad.

Yeah, but you're comparing a brand new quad to a 20 year old design.

my thoughts EXACTLY!

just looking at a polaris i can shed 20 pounds with my eyes and most of its in hardware. make the bolts the length they need to be, not a 1/4-1/2 inch longer. hollow out swingarm bolts. alum when ever possible. the oil tanks are plastic, make those from alum and they would be .065 wall instead of 1/4", then think about the extra cooling benefits since the metal will tranfer heat better.

for being a company for 50 years, there products dont exactly have the look of an experienced fabricator/company.

Jacked from Rustbag's thread in the Roostin' Room:

ROR_e4711.jpg

While a cool concept, I don't foresee IRS under my quad anytime soon, for what I do with it the light weight, simplicity, and reliability of a straight axle does the job. As long as I'm racing desert I'll be keeping an eye on the trophy trucks and using similar setups that are proven to perform.

BUT I'm a fan of innovation and pushing technology. We're just starting to see IRS, EFI, etc. etc. in a few years it'll be even more refined...

It really sucks to see a good company like KTM that makes some of the best dirtbikes out there get drug down by a shitty company like Polaris. IMO an outlaw is a total waste of and amazing motor. Drop a 525 in a 450r or YFZ and youll have the fastest bike around. Also the outlaw looks like a fucken piece of shit. Really i shit out things that look cooler... :baseball_w00t: