Plug Chop Pics and PJ34mm Carb Jetting Question

I did a WOT plug chop(test the Main Jet) like the tech article said. Just go throught the gears. It didnt run at WOT for a very long time. Here is the Pictures. The one with the white ring are the RH side. LH is a yellow ring.

RHMJ155-1.jpg

RHMJ155-2.jpg

LHMJ155-2.jpg

My banshee main jet wot is great when it is around 70 degrees temp morning and evening. But when it gets hot out say around 85-95 deg in the heat of the afternoon it runs a little rough.

Does your guys banshees WOT performance taper off a slight amount in the afternoon heat? You think it would be alright to step down one main jet size and still have it run ok with out leaning out at the cooler mourning and evening temps? I would be running a 152 main jet with every thing else staying the same.

Right now i am at these specs with Keihin PJ34mm Carbs at 2000-2500 Ft elevation

Main Jet = 155

Pilot Jet = 58

Needle = CEK on the middle 3rd clip

Banshee Mods.

FMF SST pipes with Turbine Core 2 Silencers

V Force 2 Reeds, K&N Proflow with no air box lid

Timing set to +4 deg. Cool head with 19cc Domes

Suposedly an MX port job from Victory Motorsports in Moundridge Kansas.

Thanks for your time. Your help is much appreciated.

josh

You might be on the edge of being just a tad rich. Of course, with the temp increase that just makes it a little more so.

Drop the mains one size...see how it runs, and chop 'em again. I'd say your plugs look pretty good.

A little brown ring is exactly what you want...about 2mm...

Drop the main one, do a plug chop at the 70 degree temps you'll be riding at. See how they look.

If they look this good, it runs good...have a little bit of confidence knowing you'll be just a tad richer at higher temps.

I'm not sure...but your pilot might be a little fat for your elevation as well...someone with some PJ experience might be able to help...

I agree, drop the main one size!

You might be on the edge of being just a tad rich. Of course, with the temp increase that just makes it a little more so.

Drop the mains one size...see how it runs, and chop 'em again. I'd say your plugs look pretty good.

A little brown ring is exactly what you want...about 2mm...

Drop the main one, do a plug chop at the 70 degree temps you'll be riding at. See how they look.

If they look this good, it runs good...have a little bit of confidence knowing you'll be just a tad richer at higher temps.

I'm not sure...but your pilot might be a little fat for your elevation as well...someone with some PJ experience might be able to help...

Yea i think they are too. I started out at a 62 pilot (previous owner installed). It ran like crap, I cant believe that he settled for it. I wanted to keep the pilot on the rich side because i went from the CEG needle to the CEK wich cuts the fuel down on the bottom end. It still has a little spot where it is rich sounding on the bottom end. Like it is running under water.

I jetted my raptor. I started with a stock machine and did all the jetting for the mods (currently a 720cc stroker). With this banshee I kind of jumped in head first. It had all of the mods in my sig already done. I also have never jetted a 2 stroke before. I just dont want to burn it down.

Thanks for all your advice. It is much appreciated.

josh

Per chance...any specific reason you're running B8ES instead of the BR series?

Just curious...

Well my banshee is a 1997 and the manual says to run b8es. I am also running a nology coil and wire. The techs at nology said to run a non resistor spark plug. They claimed that there will be more spark energy if you run a non resistor spark plug. I know the newer banshees say to run br8es plugs. I have herd of people having problems with B8ES plugs causing a miss at higher rpm. I think that it has some thing to do with interfearance with the CDI because of the plugs being non resistor. You know that ticking noise you probably have herd over your car radio caused by a bad or loose spark plug wire.

Interesting you should say that....

Do you have the hot wires too from Nology, or just the coil.

I just got mine on...and asked Jeff that same question...I read it somewhere as well

that you shouldn't run resistor plugs...but it was with their Hotwires...not the coil...

I'm going to pick up some B8EGVs this weekend...

Well my banshee is a 1997 and the manual says to run b8es. I am also running a nology coil and wire. The techs at nology said to run a non resistor spark plug. They claimed that there will be more spark energy if you run a non resistor spark plug. I know the newer banshees say to run br8es plugs. I have herd of people having problems with B8ES plugs causing a miss at higher rpm. I think that it has some thing to do with interfearance with the CDI because of the plugs being non resistor. You know that ticking noise you probably have herd over your car radio caused by a bad or loose spark plug wire.

Wow, someone that has done their homework. Lots on here, say "So it doesn't mess up my radio." like a bunch of morons. Luckily, no one in this post did. You're right that the plugs are a double safety to help fight interference with the CDI. Now, the stock wires are resistor wires unless I'm badly mistaken so you can get away with running non-resistor plugs. Do you know if the Nology wires are resistor wires? I'm guessing they must be if they recommend a non-resistor plug.

Wow, someone that has done their homework. Lots on here, say "So it doesn't mess up my radio." like a bunch of morons. Luckily, no one in this post did. You're right that the plugs are a double safety to help fight interference with the CDI. Now, the stock wires are resistor wires unless I'm badly mistaken so you can get away with running non-resistor plugs. Do you know if the Nology wires are resistor wires? I'm guessing they must be if they recommend a non-resistor plug.

I dont know if the nology wires are resistor type. I think that the guy at nology said that they wernt resistor type. The tech said that the factory wires on the earlier banshees had a 500 ohm resistor built in. I am not for sure if the newer banshees that say to use the resistor plugs have a resistor in the wires or not. Like if they left the resistor out and then just required you to run a resisor plug.

I havent had any problems running the non resistor plugs with the nology coil. I do keep a couple of resistor plugs on hand incase there is a problem though.

josh

ps sorry if this post doesnt make sence. I have had a few to drink.

I don't think they have a resistor...I'm 100% certain though the wires have a capacitor in them.

They are very fat at one spot, near the spark plug lead...and they have their own ground strap...

Not to mention, aside from custom fit and function....they look bad ass!!