Water in oil

Hey guys, I was riding yesterday for almost a good 6 hours. Today I checked the oil and it was a milky color, which means water in the oil.

My question is---has anyone had this happen to them before under normal riding conditions? There was a few big puddles I went through and today I washed the shee and then I noticed the milky oil..

Any ideas how this water is getting into my engine? Also, I have no oil leaks...

Thx

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd definitely look at the impeller and seal. they are pretty much destined to fail on any banshee at one point or another. my impeller was pretty much disintegrated and the seal was shot. you better fix it asap or not ride until it's fixed. the coolant will cause your clutch fibers to come apart also, meaning replacing the clutch as well. there's also an o-ring seal where the cases meet where the coolant travels from the cover to the engine case, that will wear out sometimes also.

if it is the impeller and seal, upgrade to a pro design aluminum impeller, but i'm sure the seal and bearing is a stealership replacement.

definatly its the water pump seal. thats the only place that you can get coolant into your oil. and as for the vent hose. I just put a cap on mine as it comes out of the case. really its not that big of a deal just dont over fill your oil:) when you change the seal make sure you change out the bearing as well. also if your seal has gone bad there is a good chance that you impeller shaft may have some groves in it. if so you might want to get replaced since you will have it apart.

defintly a seal , i had the same problem with my banshee before... mine as well replace the stock cheapy impellar while your at it ... If you have any questions feel free to call me at my number in my sig. im sure i can help in aiming you in the right direction

Edited by chase@miamiatv.com

I am no banshee expert but when I checked my coolant level it was OK, right on the money and so was the overflow bottle. I think I got water in the case from riding through it. Maybe this thread went the wrong way and some people are thinking I got coolant in my oil but again I am no expert.

But if you guys think this is what happened, how come my coolant level never dropped?

Thx for the replys and keep them coming.

Get a billet impeller, get a new seal, and be done with it.

That impeller is shot, period...and I wouldn't trust it...

I'd replaced it before it falls apart and sends little pieces of plastic throughout your cooling system, plugs it...then you have big problems.

I'd flush your cooling system with a garden hose, too...if it were mine.

So if you guys are 100% sure that my water pump impeller is toast and causeing water to get in my oil even though my coolant level stays the same, where would I go about getting a good reliable water pump impeller and what are the usual costs?

Again, sorry to ask this again but could someone explain to me why my oil is milky and my coolant level is normal. If I did have a bad impeller, why is my shee's coolant not droping, its staying normal???

Your impeller is shot, period. That is not even a question.

Since you need to replace it, replace that seal too to be safe.

You could've swallowed some water through a vent hose...thought the filler hole...or from a possibly bad W/P Seal...

You could've even got water in there from a pressurized quarter car wash.

My advice, replace the pump and seal, drain the tranny oil and put fresh stuff in, and keep an eye on it.