tranny/clutch problems need advice

Hi guys, Im new to the forums, figured this would be a good place to get some help.

I just got a 00 banshee cheap needs work. Got it fired up today but it wont shift. seems like its stuck in a high gear clutch slips like crazy but it moves, and once you get it rolling it cruises, but you cannot shift it at all.

Anyone ever run into a problem like this or have any idea what would be causing it. Could it just be a shifter fork? Clutch? Just wanted to get some info before i got in there and split the cases and all that

thanks in advance

I had my banshee stuck in gear and it wouldnt shift up or down, it turned out that a piece on the shift shaft had broken off and it wouldnt let it catch on the shift star. you do not need to split the case to replace the shift shaft, i would also suggest replacing the clutch, and doing the shift spring mod since you will have everything apart. call Jeff at F.A.S.T racing his number is 785-364-5325 he should have everything that you'll need.I deal with him when ever i need something and his customer service is top notch you wont find anyone better to deal with then Jeff :headbang:

the shift spring mod is a lighter tension shift spring it makes shifting through the gears silky smooth. talk to jeff and he will explain how to install it. also the clutches that jeff sells are street bike clutches and they will handle the power with out slipping.

I have had my Banshee since new(96) and I have had this problem 2 or 3 times and so has my buddy. It usely happens when were out riding some where for the weekend and then have to fix it in the parking lot. You just have to pull off the right side clutch cover/case, and the shift shaft that goes through to the left side has a fork on it that goes around the shift star. This fork usely has flexed and comes off the shift star. There is also an adjusting screw there with a lock nut, a spring that is on the shift shaft goes around the adjusting screw and the screw some times comes loose alowing the fork to move down too far and come off the shifting star, I have also had this adjusting screw break off. This adjusting screw you can adjust the fork on the shift shaft up or down. You want the fork centered on the shifting star or get it as close as possible. The adjusting screw is an acentric(I think I spelled that right :confused: ) You may need a new shift shaft too because the riviot that holds the fork on to the end gets loose and alows the fork to move side to side and this alows the fork to come off the shifting star. I have fixed that riviot on mine by smashing the riviot together more whitch tightens it up, it then lasts for a couple more years. I hope that helps. Its kind-a hard to explain if your not there talking to you.

Edited by kfngrn

ok took the side cover off yesterday. Pieces of the clutch plates came out with it. One of the plates was in bad shape broken pieces everywhere. It shifts through 3 gears now just sitting there, shift shaft looks to be working good now. Do you guys think this is my only problem or possibly more. I dunno if it should shift through all the gears without the clutch on or not, but it moves through a few of them now and wouldnt move at all before.

I think i may just get a new clutch kit throw it on and see what happens. Maybe it will be a quick fix and wont have to get into the tranny.

That is normal to only shift through a few gears. Try spinning the motor and it may go through the rest. These kind of trans, work allot bettet when spinning.

ya thats what i figured, tried it yesterday and it didnt shift through anymore but, friend of mine has a stock clutch set for his banshee when he swapped out, they're still good. Gonna try that tomorrow probably and see what it does. So i know if thats the only problem.

Ok i put the clutch in, and that part of it works great now, I can get it through 4th, 5th and 6th gear now. Wont go into 3rd or any lower i tried numerous times. Shift shaft and the start and everything look to be in good working order. I pulled the motor out last night im probbaly going to split the cases today and see what the tranny and shift forks look like.

I noticed when i took the motor out that these cases split in half top to bottom instead of side to side. Is it possible to split the cases without tearing down the top end, runs so good i dont wanna mess with it lol.

Ok i put the clutch in, and that part of it works great now, I can get it through 4th, 5th and 6th gear now. Wont go into 3rd or any lower i tried numerous times. Shift shaft and the start and everything look to be in good working order. I pulled the motor out last night im probbaly going to split the cases today and see what the tranny and shift forks look like.

I noticed when i took the motor out that these cases split in half top to bottom instead of side to side. Is it possible to split the cases without tearing down the top end, runs so good i dont wanna mess with it lol.

Yes it is possible to split the cases without top end tear down.