Inform on 5th wheel hitches

I'm wanting to buy a 5th wheel hitch. What's a good one to get. How hard are they to install. Does anyone have one they like to sell. My truck already has a goose neck hitch will this effect anything? Any other information I can get would be helpful. Thanks.

No you should easily be able to have a 5th wheel hitch installed. Most come with the pins that you pull to easily remove the hitch from the truck so that you could use your ball for your gooseneck.For someone that knows what they are doing, it takes about 4 hours to do.

If you have a short box truck, as I do, you'll need a sliding 5th wheel hitch to prevent your trailer from hitting the cab when you turn tight. If you have a long bed then that doesn't matter. The question really comes down to what is the max that the trailer will ever weigh and then you can get a hitch that will be able to handle at least that much weight. They are measured like regular bumper hitches. I personally prefer the Reese 18,000 lb slide hitch.

Brand new with installation would probably run you $1400. After doing it yourself you wonder if the extra $300 is worth it for installation, I think it is. Those holes have to be perfect and before drilling them, check and check and then recheck. I had one that I just got rid of, to bad i'd have given you a good deal on it.

One last thing, you can also remove the gooseneck ball you currently have in your truck and just install a 5th wheel hitch. Then you can buy a gooseneck to 5th wheel adapter and then you could hook up your gooseneck using your 5th wheel hitch.

Hope this helps.

Edited by bansheetimes2

Yes the install is very easy, just time consuming unless you do this for a living. The directions that come with the plate will tell you exactly where to drill the holes. you do need to look under the bed though to make sure that you don't drill through wires or any other important item on your truck.

$1400 seems awfully high to me, but I got mine from a local dealer in Yuba City California for $600. That was the plate and the slider for my wifes short box, but later I put it on my long box and now just have more room between the cab and trailer. If you are getting quotes around $1400 I would check around...... :cheers:

redneck sell B&W hidahitchs.

i have one in my pu. it mounts flush were you can load stuff adn be some what stealth.

you will have to buy the adaptor for the 5th wheel but it will make your bed of your truck still useable and smooth.

i can hook you up with one or whatnot