What does this mean?

I pulled in the clutch handle the other day and the clutch wouldn't disengage. The lever on top of the motor that the cable hooks to still moves (very easy) but it don't feel like it's even doing anything. What do you think the problem is?

Edited by 8buck

Read the topic "HOW THE HECK DID THAT BREAK" and read along. Mine did the same exact thing when that happened.

Pull your clutch cover and inspect the clutch push rod. You may have to pull the basket to get a better look. Make sure the whole clutch pushrod system is moving freely. If it is, tip the bike on its side and tap the stator side with a rubber mallet so the pushrods fall towards the clutch, then try to pull the clutch arm out. If they dont move freely, you have a welded pushrod-to-shaft problem and it is probably stuck in so that the clutch arm won't pull beyond it. It has about a 1" notch so just under 1" of play is about right (or wrong, depends on how you look at it). By the way.....if it IS welded, it is REALLY welded and you won't just drive it out or drill it out, trust me......been there.

Good luck

Well... WELDED!!! So what causes this? The ball is welded to the pushrod, the push lever is tore up and so is the end of the adjustment stud (not pictured) I ran all last year with no probs and I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary when this happened. banghead

One more thing, I tipped the quad on it's side and the rod just slid out. Granted, it is all screwed up, but if the rod still moved freely then why did the clutch stop working (disengaging)?

Edited by 8buck

Most of the time when that happens it is caused by pulling in the clutch and holding it in (like when going down a big hill). It usually only happens when you're going fast. My friend did it last year at Sand Mountain. He was coming down from the top and just pulled the clutch in and coasted down instead of going down the hill in gear and POP the clutch engaged and that was all she wrote. Thats a hard lesson to learn.

Most of the time when that happens it is caused by pulling in the clutch and holding it in (like when going down a big hill).  It usually only happens when you're going fast. 

511161[/snapback]

That can't be right. What I was doing was holding in the clutch while going down a big hill while going fast. :P I take it that must be a bad thing cause that's EXACTLY what I was doing!

my nephew did pretty much the same thing on his blaster a few months ago, coasting down a hill. at least it's not a bitch of a job to fix it. the hardest part is now done bud. B)