might ride michigan dunes this summer...

Yami_rider_4life

Hey,i'm only 14 and i've been a MXer/woodsrider my whole life and me my bro and my dad were thinking of heading up to michigan dunes this summer to ride.I'm just asking some basic stuff about riding there so here goes:

What is a cheap set of paddles that aren't junk ans should i get fronts and backs or just backs

Is there anything I need to adjust or change for my banshee engine or suspension wise

Other than spark arrestors,is there anything else needed exaust related

Are there any special techniques to jumping /racing through the dunes

Thanks for the advice! :cheers:

Edited by Yami_rider_4life

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell yea!! I ride silver lake a few times a year, mostly for the summer holidays. Just get yourself some paddles, spark arrestors, and youll be fine. If your really really loud, they might hassle ya for decibels. In that case, try to bring it into the dunes in the back of a truck. That was there is no questions. Ohhh, you need a michigan park sticker (8 bucks a day, 24 for a year), and an ORV sticker (16 bucks i think)......Then your ready!

k thanks man,also whats all this i hear about it destroying your engine if the single tiniest grain of said gets in? :( and do you really have to tear apart your quad and clean it top to bottom?

PS:when i bought the 'shee,it had a bunch of stickers on it from the dunes.if by chance it had them from this year u think theyd buy it? lol i

Edited by Yami_rider_4life

stickers will cost ya $40.25 for all year. however i think it's a bit more if you're not a michigan resident. 20 bucks for a whip (flag). if you're gonna ride sand more than once I'd get some sand stars or 8 padde regular haulers. you don't need the fronts. if you just want a cheap set of paddles i can sell you some geckos for next to nothing. need 10 inch wheels to go with them though. if you really want to RIDE i'd stay away from holiday weekends. if you do go remember holidays and weekend you will need a parking lot voucher. you need to get these the night before. which means you sit in line a couple hours every night. not to mention it gets really really busy. the voucher system starts may 15 or 16 and lasts all summer.

I'd say save your money for parts while you're there. And bring tools. nothing worse than sitting out the weekend cause your bikes broke. anything you need help with, don't worry, you can walk right up to people and ask them what they think might be wrong and the best way to do it. I spend a lot of time fixing the bikes and helping others with their bikes. if you go on a holiday, i'm usually there with a shit load of tools and some spare parts. I've gotten pretty used to being the onsite mechanic for our crew.

bill

Edited by 1000dollabill

As far as parking lot vouchers go, better get there a day before you plan on riding and sit in line at 9p.m. the night before.  THE BEST THING ABOUT RIDING IN THE DUNES IS WAITING IN LINE---NOT.. :yank:

502756[/snapback]

ok so ur saying "go to get passes the night before you go riding instead of waiting in line the day u plan to ride?"

can you buy a pass that lasts more than one day?

you can buy the orv and state park stickers at the gate. if you go on a weekend or holiday, you have to get a voucher the night before or you don't ride. if you go on a random weekday than you just show up, buy your stickers and ride your little heart out. it kinda sucks but it's a small place with limited parking so it's the only fair way. if you stay in town you can tow quads in with a truck as long as they aren't running, but all vehicles must be "dune ready" (flag, ORV, state park pass). I've seen them let up to 3-4 bikes tow in on holidays. usually two is the limit. Dune Ready vouchers still need to be obtained the night before, but there is usually little to no line to get dune ready vouchers. Trailer vouchers are a bitch to get but you do what you gotta do. you need a new voucher every day you ride, and you will still wait in a decent line in the morning.

bill

One more thing to think about. Actual legal riding age is 16. If you are fairly decent size, you probably won't even get questioned. But if you are a smaller framed guy, you may wan't to call ahead and ask them what the requirement is for your age. I believe you can take an ATV safety course, and ride w/a parent w/no problems, but you might want to check.